Breastfeeding

Trying to go from EP to BF but ouuuch! Help?!

I need some help pretty please!

So I have been EP since DD was a week old. I was to the point of tears everytime she ate, I have really sensitive nipples apparently and her strong suck didn't help any. Anyways my goal is to BF and stop pumping altogether eventually. I decided today was the day to try. After attempting to BF this morning it started hurting so I used the sheild the rest of the day. Holy cow do my boobs hurt right now! I have had Mastitis 3 times and thats what the ache in my boobs feels like (without the other symptoms). I had to give her a bottle and pump the last feeding because it just hurt too bad even with the sheild. She is down for a nap right now but I am going to try again when she wakes up.

Does anyone have any advice to make this transition less painful or am I doomed to pump for the next 16 months? Since I have been EP do you think I just have to get the nips "toughened up"...I thought the pump would have done that by now...TIA!

Re: Trying to go from EP to BF but ouuuch! Help?!

• I'm new to BF'ing myself so my recommendation comes from tons of reading/research.

Have you tried giving her a bottle at the start of the feeding session to help slack her hunger and then switch to the breast? Having a less anxious, hungry baby may help with that strong suck that's causing you pain.

Also, the LC I spoke with suggesting moving my LO into different positions to help with his latch if it became painful while he was nursing.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you sure she is latching on properly?  Maybe have a lactation consultant check it.  In the beginning for me it was uncomfortable but never painful. something doesn't sound right.  Don't force it, I would seek out help.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesschwege:
    Are you sure she is latching on properly?  Maybe have a lactation consultant check it.  In the beginning for me it was uncomfortable but never painful. something doesn't sound right.  Don't force it, I would seek out help.

I have been to the LC 3 times...they say she is latching correctly. What I don't understand is I have gone 10 hours w/o pumping (when she STTN) and had no problems but when I BF for 10 hours all of the sudden I get Mastitis?! Im starting to feel like crap again so im pretty sure we're up for round 4...weeee. Let's see if I wake up with a 103 temp again...

• I wouldn't try to go from all pumping to all BFing.  Why not try one BFing session (at a time that's low key and relaxing for her when she's not screaming hungry) and then pump the rest of the day?  Then add in more BFing slowly over time.  Give your body time to adjust.

I really hope you're not getting mastitis again!  Best of luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Could be that they need to toughen up. My nipples we SO bad at first especially on one side. Ended up having to pump so nipple could heal and he was latched on correctly. After mastitis and an abscess I finally could breastfeed him again on that side. But it hurt like crazy again until they toughened up. Hurt so bad I held my breath every time he latched on. Hope it gets better for you!
  • I know this wasn't your question, but I'm going through the same process, and my LC said not to give up pumping cold turkey. She suggested slowly weaning from pumping to prevent mastitis, and protect your supply in case little one isn't eating very well at first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also have very, very sensitive nipples and the first six weeks were AWEFUL. I was in constant pain, had cracked, bleeding, and severely scabbed nipples. Even with the nipple shield, I had to hold my breath and tense up when she latched. When I wasn't nursing, I was either walking around topless with gobs of ointment on, or alternating frozen gel pads, heated gel pads, tea bags, cabbage leaves... You get the picture.

My point is, it was terribly painful, but at around week 4 it got better, then by week 6 it became easy and enjoyable. When I was in the thick of it, I never thought I would get to that point, but I did! 

If you are willing to go through it, stick with it!! It is SO worth it! I occasionally have to deal with nipple blanching as a result of the trauma to them early on, but it's not so bad. Also I still have to watch her positioning and latch, if she's being lazy it can tear them up a bit but it's nothing compared to the beginning.

Best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemelissa00718:
    Even with the nipple shield, I had to hold my breath and tense up when she latched.

This exactly! And I was under the impression that DD couldn't have a bad latch with the nipple shield?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to wait until im not sore anymore and then try once a day and go from there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"