Austin Babies

Questions about sleeping and rolling

Jack hasn't rolled yet but we have recently stopped using a incline positioner in his crib and just started propping up the mattress with a towel (he has reflux). He'd scoot down to the bottom of the positioner and wake up. Thankfully he doesn't do that anymore since we have just been propping up the mattress. Lately, he's been moving A LOT at night. He'll turn at least 90 degrees and sometimes hit his head on the slats and wake up. He's still swaddled.

1. Should I put the bumpers in so he doesn't hit his head and wake up?

2. What changes to his crib or to him do I need to make once he does start rolling? 

3. When would I start using the bumpers, if at all?

4. When do you stop swaddling?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions about sleeping and rolling

• 1. I am not a fan of bumpers. Better to have them bump and wake up than get their face smooshed up against them and not be able to breath. Especially if he's still swaddled...he wouldn't be able to move himself back out of them very easily.

2. I don't know because we only ever elevated her crib when she had a cold, so it was always temporary. That said, when it was elevated, she spun and slid all around and it didn't really bother her or us.

3. I never used traditional bumpers. For me, the risk wasn't worth the reward. We did install breathable bumpers when we unswaddled her to try and keep her limbs from getting caught between the slats. Sometimes she'd bonk her head, wake up and cry out once or twice, and then go right back to sleep. 

4. We stopped swaddling at about 5 months, when she started being able to break out of the miracle blanket (she's rock up on her side, thus defeating the body-weight-keeping-her-hands-pinned-down functionality).

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • We went to breathable bumpers when he started rolling around to keep all legs/arms from getting caught in the slats.  He has never bumped his head and woken up, so it wasn't a problem we had to deal with.  We stopped swaddling around 4 months at home.  He had become aware of when the paci fell out so we wanted his hands free to soothe himself since we ditched the paci for night sleeping at that time.

• Loading the player...
  • imageJayandJack:
    Sorry if these are redundant; I just skimmed the others.

1. Should I put the bumpers in so he doesn't hit his head and wake up? I'm in the no bumper camp too, except for breathable ones, if you really need them.

2. What changes to his crib or to him do I need to make once he does start rolling? Just not swaddling him anymore.

3. When would I start using the bumpers, if at all? See #1 :)

4. When do you stop swaddling? When baby won't stay safely swaddled or is rolling onto tummy.

For us, he actually slept much better when he could roll to tummy, so it was a happy change!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"