Indiana Babies
Options

has anyone ever had mono?

I've now had five different people tell me I should get tested for mono, and of course Dr. Google/WebMD is telling me I have all the symptoms.

Have you ever had it, and if so, what were your symptoms like?

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: has anyone ever had mono?

• Options
    Ugh. Yes. I was utterly exhausted (worse than first tri), achiness all over my body, fever on/off, sore throat. Those were the most consistent symptoms. I had a cough, sneezing and runny nose on and off as well. It sucked. I still get sick every single Winter with what feels like a mild case of it.

I hope it's not mono though all it takes to diagnose is a blood test. The crummy thing about mono is that there isn't really a medicine to cure it. Blah.
  • Options

imagejac*n*abe:
    Ugh. Yes. I was utterly exhausted (worse than first tri), achiness all over my body, fever on/off, sore throat. Those were the most consistent symptoms. I had a cough, sneezing and runny nose on and off as well. It sucked. I still get sick every single Winter with what feels like a mild case of it.

I hope it's not mono though all it takes to diagnose is a blood test. The crummy thing about mono is that there isn't really a medicine to cure it. Blah.

Yeah, I'm not sure what a diagnosis would do for me. I've already exposed everyone at work since I've been here for several days, plus more than half my office has been sick this week anyway.

I'll just do self-care as I would otherwise and hope it goes away soon, whatever it is!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejac*n*abe:

Everything above! I had it over senior year of highschool...RIGHT at Thanksgiving break. My throat was so bad, I couldn't eat anything for 2 weeks other than jello. The dr thought I had the flu, and my mono didn't show up on a test until the 2nd time they tested.

It was the sickest I've ever been.

I REALLY hope you don't have it. :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ditto jac.  Also, I had really bad swollen lymph nodes--hard and tender.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DH has had it twice, but I've never caught it from him (does that mean we have a sad sex life, or what!?).  Other than normal flu like symptoms that would.not.go.away, he had painful lymph nodes and a really sore neck (partially from the lymph nodes and partially from muscle achyness)

I hope you figure it out soon so you can get feeling better!

• Options
    I had what Jac said. I had it my Junior year in HS and it SUCKED! I actually had to miss 12 days of school it was so bad.
  • Options
    I have not had it. I hope you don't!
  • Options
    I never had it but my sister had it and it was bad just like previous posters said.   Hope you dont have it....it's one of those things that doesnt always go away and can come back easily.  I remember my sister being very tired and the swollen glands were really bad!
  • Options

Yup, I was the sterotypical college freshman who had mono. 

I remember before i knew I had it that something was up because I just wanted to sit in the section lounge and sleep instead of go to the football game.  The biggest symptom I had was my throat hurt so badly, along with my golf-ball-sized glands in my neck.  I got white spots on my throat too....come to think of it, wasn't your throat the worst symptom you had last week.  Uh-oh....I agree with your co-workers that a mono test might be prudent, not that it would change things much since there's no "cure", but at least maybe your boss' boss would get off your back for being sick.

I ended up in health services overnight and got steroid treatments through an IV. 

Take care of yourself!

• Options

I had it when I was in 10th grade and it was pretty much the worst experience of my life.  Terrible sore throat, no appetite, high fever.  I couldn't eat anything, but had to keep taking Tylenol for the fever/sore throat and I kept throwing it up because me stomach was empty. I learned to live off of jell-o cups and popsicles.

I think the sore throat start over the weekend and I was up so many times during the night Sunday to get water that when my alarm went off my dad told me to go back to sleep and he'd take me to urgent care when I got up.  I was out of school for the full week and was on some med for some side effect with my ears.  Maybe it was an ear infection, I can't remember.  I felt awful for a full week and my fever got so high that my dad considered taking me to the ER.  It was also right before finals and I'd missed so much that I had to come in over Christmas break to take some of my finals because I wasn't prepared. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The only thing that has me thinking I don't have it is that I'm not fatigued at all beyond the typical slowness of being sick in general. And, I don't really have swollen glands anymore.

When I had my awful peritonsillar abscess, my tonsils were so swollen that I could barely even open my mouth far enough for him to get a tongue depressor in there. Luckily the augmentin has taken care of that.

This just feels like strep...but it's not. Stupid virus.

I'll watch it and see - I have Thursday off of work anyway so I might make some phone calls to my doc again.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Options
    imageNDwife07:

The only thing that has me thinking I don't have it is that I'm not fatigued at all beyond the typical slowness of being sick in general. And, I don't really have swollen glands anymore.

When I had my awful peritonsillar abscess, my tonsils were so swollen that I could barely even open my mouth far enough for him to get a tongue depressor in there. Luckily the augmentin has taken care of that.

This just feels like strep...but it's not. Stupid virus.

I'll watch it and see - I have Thursday off of work anyway so I might make some phone calls to my doc again.

Thanks for your feedback!

Maybe since you're already off on Thursday, just give the dr. a call and request a follow up since you're still not feeling 100%.  Then when you get there, mention the mono and see what he thinks.  I'm sure he's seen it enough to know whether it warrants a blood test or not.

At any rate, I hope you feel better soon!!!

• Options
    I had it back in HS, and my biggest symptom was my excruciatingly sore throat.  My tonsils were so swollen they were touching, and I ate nothing but sherbet, lemon ice, and soup for like two weeks.  I really didn't feel that bad other than the throat, but since it was so excruciating to eat/drink, my calorie intake was pretty low so I didn't have much energy.
    #PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options
    I had it a few years ago and I couldn't move for 3 days. I was so exhausted, sore and just feeling awful
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"