Infertility
Options

IVF requirements?

Hey Everyone! My doctor and I talked about different options. I failed a femara cycle and my MD does not want me to do injectables to fear of multiples with my age? Weird. Anyways. I have fertility coverage through my work and he suggested doing IVF since one cycle would be completely covered. He said that he would either like to do that or clomid but there are some requirements with IVF first. We did not go into those because I wanted to talk to DH first. DH and I decided maybe one round of clomid then IVF. Do any of you know what "requirements" are? What has everyones experience with IVF been?

Re: IVF requirements?

• Options
    I was required to take a class and to have all my diagnostic checklist items completed. Some insurance companies have minimum requirements for moving on to IVF depending on your dx (ie a certain number of failed IUIs). You should just ask your RE to clarify.
    +++
  • Options

imageEdwina.McDunnough:
    You should just ask your RE to clarify.

Exactly. Different clinics and REs have different guidelines

I had to do a Clomid Challegen, have an updated HSG, SIS, blood work, have my height, weight, BMI on file, have had a meeting with the RE to go over all risks and possible complications, sign a bunch of paperwork...

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Not sure of your dx, but it seems odd to me that he is considering Clomid or IVF.  They are very different.  Injects are not scary if they are low dose and you are monitored very closely.  Is your coverage a $ amt. or a # of cycles?

IVF is the big guns, so I would exhaust your Clomid/injects and IUI options before pursuing it, but it depends on your dx, your coverage, your RE, and how big of a hurry you are in to get pg (I know it's like yesterday ;) ).  GL!

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Oh yeah, and I agree. Odd that your RE won't consider injects.

If you are properly monitored there really isn't much more concern for multiples than there is on Clomid. You can easily have multiples on Clomid or with IVF as well. All depends on the monitoring you receive, the dosages of the meds and how ethical your RE is really...

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    imagekthappy76:

Not sure of your dx, but it seems odd to me that he is considering Clomid or IVF.  They are very different.  Injects are not scary if they are low dose and you are monitored very closely.  Is your coverage a $ amt. or a # of cycles?

IVF is the big guns, so I would exhaust your Clomid/injects and IUI options before pursuing it, but it depends on your dx, your coverage, your RE, and how big of a hurry you are in to get pg (I know it's like yesterday ;) ).  GL!

Oh, I just saw that you had a pregnancy on your first medicated cycle, and I'm so sorry for your loss. But I agree, jumping to IVF after one bad cycle seems extreme. Also, your pregnancy is a really good sign that less invasive therapies could work for you. IVF is no joke.

+++
  • Options
    What's your Dx?  He may be talking about requirements the insurance company has before you move onto IVF (some require a certain # of IUIs or ovulation induction), or he could be talking about IVF education classes the clinic offers, etc.  I personally would be hesitant to jump into IVF if I'd gotten pg with a TI cycle and hadn't done IUIs yet, unless there was a good reason.  I don't see why your RE couldn't start you on a very low dose of FSH with IUIs if you're not responding to Clomid - I did IUIs w/ 50 IUs of FSH.

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
    2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
    IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
    IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
    IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
    Lap 7/21/10
    IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
    FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

• Options
    Good point!! I have an OOP max at $20,000 so I think he was saying because the more IUI and other treatments we do the closer we get to that and would have to pay for IVF out of our own pockets. I am actually seeing another MD next week so guess we will see what he says! I thought that it was weird to do either clomid or IVF but I wasent sure! Thanks for the help ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"