New York Babies

Putnam County

(reposted from HV nest)

Hey ladies,

So my husband received wonderful news today!  He was offered a new job and with a baby on the way, we couldn't need it more right now.  However, we live in Rockland and he will be commuting to CT and Westchester.  It looks like our best bet would be to move to Putnam County.  I am trying to do some research on some great family friendly places to live in the area.  Any help would be great... and some feedback on some OBGYNs since I will have to switch in a few months.  Thanks for your help! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Putnam County

• Congrats on all the great news!  I grew up in Putnam County.. all of it is beautiful!  You should check out Mahopac, Carmel, and Putnam Valley (Mahopac & Carmel are close to 684 which is close to both Westchester and CT, and Put Valley is near the Taconic which is also close to Westchester).

I use Mount Kisco Medical Group and could not be happier!  I chose them as my gyno originally because they have an office in Carmel and in Mt. Kisco (westchester) which was close to my job.  I also like that they are a group so if I can't get in with my OB, there is someone else that can cover for me.

Good Luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats!  I grew up in Putnam Valley, went to Carmel schools, and currently live in Mahopac.  My DH and I are buying a place in Lake Carmel, which has its ups and downs.  Taxes tend to be higher in parts of Lake Carmel that are in the town of Kent.  We also looked at houses throughout the county.  Brewster had the lowest taxes, but I don't know very much about their schools.  Carmel is a relatively large school district, with HS class sizes in the 400's when my sisters graduated ('06 & '08) and it seems to always be getting larger.  Carmel has some great family friendly areas and some you could probably stay away from.  Mahopac is family friendly, and the school district is smaller, but that also means that everyone knows everyone and can be cliquish, even for the adults.  Putnam Valley is where my DH and I would like to end up, however, median home prices are higher than other areas in Putnam and taxes are higher because of the lack of businesses in the area.  If you go to Putnam Valley you will have to drive 20 minutes to get to a grocery store, but it is a beautiful area because it has been left alone.  You could also try Croton Falls, North Salem, or Somers.  They are very commuter friendly areas and have great schools and they are just over the border into Westchester.  Hope that helps!

PS I was using Mt Kisco Medical Group, but I am thinking of switching to a smaller practice of midwives called Full Circle Women's Health.  I hear they are great if you are going for a natural childbirth. 

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats!  I grew up in Mahopac, love it there!!!!!! I used Dr. Jeff Katz, in Mahopac....he's been my doctor for 14+ years, he was awesome in the delviery room!!! 

Good Luck!   Caren

• If you're interested in midwives/natural childbirth, Hudson Valley OBGYN is great; they have 2 doctors and 2 midwives and are located across the street from the Hudson Valley Hospital Center.  I pretty much always went to the midwives and *loved* my experience with them (I left a WestMed group in Rye at the end of my 1st trimester b/c I was unhappy with them).  I delivered at the HVHC in August and had a great natural childbirth.

I highly, highly recommend them (I drove about 30 min. just to use them!).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"