Attachment Parenting

Do you ever feel like you get enough "me" time?

Just wondering if I am totally pathological here or if it's completely normal for a super engaged mom to feel like there's never enough "me" time. We just spent a wonderful week at my ILs during which they were willing to watch DD just about any time so DH and I could go out, go to the gym, go holiday shopping, catch up with friends or just sit in a corner of their house and read a book. Nonetheless, I was still 100% responsible for DD when she woke up in the middle of the night disoriented by her surroundings, when she refused to go to sleep at night, when she spiked a fever on Thanksgiving day, etc. It's not like I was completely relieved of my duties as a mother.

DH thinks it's absurd that I'm already asking about his work schedule this week to see if I can make it to a yoga class or something some night this week. Is he right? Should a week of "me" time be enough to last the rest of the year?

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you ever feel like you get enough "me" time?

• Has your husband ever been with your DD 24/7 for weeks, months etc?

Don't get me wrong I love being a sahm but you NEED regular breaks it's good for you AND for your daughter since you will be a better mom because of it. I don't think he gets it if he works out of the home and nights and stuff aren't all on him.

I am trying to work on allowing myself "me" time without feeling guilty. I am staying with my mom while H is deployed and she has been pushing me to go out by myself. She made a very good point that when I am gone for a few hours and come home it makes me cherish that time even more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are so not alone. You need regular time...having a bunch over the course of a week doesn't make the next week of constant ON time any easier.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh ask him if a week of vacation a year means he no longer needs weekends off for the rest of the year and see what he says.  ; )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I teach group fitness classes.  It is truly my "me" time and as a bonus, I get paid for it.  DD is in preschool, DS goes to the gym daycare and I get a workout.  It's wonderful.

I would be waaaaaaaaaaay overwhelmed without it.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Nope, not alone. I love being a SAHM and always being with DS. But I also feel that I never get a second alone. Even during nap time I'm trying to get stuff done and I'm "on".I need that time to just ompose and do things I love. You deserve that to. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Get out of my head!  I was just having a similar thought today.  For me today it's less getting enough "me" time and more having twinges of missing my old life.  When we stay with family I don't have to pre-plan anything if I want to leave the house and there's always like 3 people shoving me out the door eager to watch M :-)  No remembering snacks and a sippy, pre-arranging a night out a week ahead of time, paying a sitter, balancing schedules etc.  I can just run out the door with a quick "he'll need lunch and a nap afterward" and enjoy myself without worry. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageanna7602:
    Should a week of "me" time be enough to last the rest of the year?

Uh, no, that's ri-donk-ulous. 

Not to mention that "me" time when you're totally sleep deprived is not exactly the best quality "me" time!

I don't see anything wrong with making sure you get a night or 2 each week for yourself. At the very least you could divide up the weekends. For an example...DH likes to watch football with his friends on Sunday afternoons, so he gets up with our son on Sunday mornings and takes care of him all morning and puts him down for his midday nap. Then I take over for the afternoon. It's great because I get to sleep in on Sundays, go get a pedicure or whatever, then DH gets his own time.

• Never. On top of that since I work full time outside of the house I never feel like I get enough time with DD. I took off Monday-Wednesday last week so I would have five days off. I sent DD to school Monday because I was sick and we were both sick the whole week. I accomplished nothing, didn't get to do anything special with DD on our two days alone and am now so behind at work I don't what to do with myself. The me + DD + work + home balance is not happening right now. I also think that even if I could go back and relive one blissful week of me time in my old life one or two days worth of tantrums + teething + being sick + crappy sleep(aka the past week) would instantly set me back to feeling like I need another vacation.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I never get me time.  I SAH, and on top of that DH works nights.  So if Ovi is awake at night is on me.  I am on the clock 24/7.  Sometimes when DH is home, I go in the bathroom, and lock the door.  I just like to check my email alone, or sit alone and the bathroom seems to be the only place I get time to myself.  Usually in sitting in the bathtub trying to stay quite so no one finds me.
    AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • Prior to #2, sure, I made it a priority!  On the weekends, I'd go to Target with my sister or do something without my toddler... now that I have a nursing infant who won't take a bottle, "me time" doesn't really exist!  I try to have a glass of wine or just sit and relax after they go to bed, though..
  • imageanna7602:

DH thinks it's absurd that I'm already asking about his work schedule this week to see if I can make it to a yoga class or something some night this week. Is he right? Should a week of "me" time be enough to last the rest of the year?

If DH said something like that to me I think I'd have a very difficult time not responding in a completely nasty manner. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • And no, a week does not mean you don't get me time for the rest of the year!!!!!!!!!!
  • I always feel like I'm "on." There's always something weighing on my time and mind. If DS is napping, I either need to clean the house or work or do a million other things. If I take time out to bump, I'm always thinking about what I should be doing. Even if I'm not with DS, I'm thinking about what I should be doing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"