Cincinnati Babies

Troubleshooting - Pump Isn't working - also a vent and this is long

I went for my regular morning pump session and my pump (I have the medela freestyle handsfree) doesn't seem to be working.  It could be that I don't have a lot of supply (doubtful because my chest feels like it weighs 15 llbs and I leaked a little).  It felt like there was suction but barely an ounce came out of one side and drops came out of the other.  WTF???  I tried squeezing my breasts (I read that in a post below thank-you) and nothing.  I let the pump go for at least 15 minutes before giving up.

Does anyone have a freestyle pump and can tell/advise me on how to trouble shoot what is wrong?  I swear if everything isn't lined up/snapped in perfectly, the pump won't work or gets clogged which gets milk everywhere.  A friend mentioned having to replace her tubing once and I wonder if this might be a problem. 

Luckily, DD is at daycare one block away and I'm going to go breastfeed at her next feeding (however I hope I don't start leaking everywhere before that)

Seriously, I hate pumping so much.  It takes up so much time out of my work day especially when things go wrong (like today).   I wish I just had my baby here to do the job - ha ha ha

thanks for any advice and listening

Re: Troubleshooting - Pump Isn't working - also a vent and this is long

• I didn't have a freestyle, so I don't know if any of the parts are the same, but I always checked the valves first - on the PISA they're the white flaps.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Pumping is def a PIA! but of course worth it. What I always got wrong was the flange (little white piece of plastic) it never was in all the way. Maybe check that if you haven't already. 

hth 

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When was the last time you changed the membranes on the pump?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Thanks Ladies - Sometimes the little flaps on the membranes get stuck and there is a backup (which is the worst because sometimes I end up smelling like sour milk for the rest of the day because when I unclog it spills on me). 

I bought new membranes about a month ago, but have been using both the old and new (and have interchanged the parts) so I don't have to wash them between my two pumps a day. 

I haven't bought new breast shields, could this be a problem?

• That stinks! Shouldn't need new shields. I know that Motherhood Express store can test your pump for you. Perhaps a call to Medela would be in order here, I know their customer service is excellent. 
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I have the Freestyle and this happened a couple of times when I was EPing for DS.  Most of the time I just didn't have everything snapped on just right but one time I actually did need new tubing.  I would always wrap the tubing around the machine and throw it in my bag.  Well, I guess the machine hit the tubing just right and made a little slit in the tubing.  I was able to tape it and it worked ok until my replacement tubing came from Medela.  I would check your tubing if everything else is connected right.  If tubing is ok maybe you could take it to a lactation consultant to test it out.  I also recommend calling Medela.  Like pp said, their customer service is awesome!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It has to be one of the membranes.  I just got back from my afternoon pump and pumped 10 ounces (usually what I pump in the morning).  I just get so frustrated and obsessed that writing all of this out helped relieve the stress of pumping. 

Hopefully, DD's daycare will let me take home a bottle if she didn't drink it (because I breastfed her at lunch) and I won't have to pump anymore today!

Its also good to know that motherhood will test our pumps.  Bethany (the LC) works at my pediatrician's office on Wednesdays and I can always make an appointment to see her!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"