Working Moms

Help with overnight daycare fee??

We use an in-home daycare that we love.  We pay $25 per day (which we think is so ridiculously low for how great our provider is!)

DH and I are going away for 3 days by ourselves, MIL was going to keep DD overnight for 2 nights, and now can't.  Our daycare provider knows about our trip, and I mentioned to her that now MIL can't keep DD overnight, and she said "Well I'd be more than happy to help, I can keep her overnight!"

I asked her what she would like us to pay her and she has been giving vague answers, won't name a figure, etc.

DH and I talked about it last night and he thinks that $40 per night "makes sense based on what we pay her per day" but we both think that seems too low.  So we were thinking $50 per night.

I asked daycare provider again this morning "what do you want us to pay you" and she just kept saying "oh don't worry about it, she's part of the family anyway, the girls are so excited to have her sleep over, etc".

So... what do you all think?  Does $50 a night sound fair?  More?

Also I was thinking about leaving some money for them all to have pizza on Sunday night together...is that wierd?

I'm so so so grateful for her helping us out and want to make sure she's treated fairly, ya know?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help with overnight daycare fee??

• When I read your post the number I came up with was $50 per night. I would just go ahead and set the date with her and when you return hand her cash and insist she takes it. I wouldn't pin her down on a price. She probably doesn't really know herself and it probably isn't so much about the money. But, of course, you have to pay her because that's the right thing to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I'd probably pay her $100/night.  She may not mind and would do it for free, but you are taking some of her family time away - no matter how much she/they love your LO. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKathrynMD:
    Honestly, I'd probably pay her $100/night.  She may not mind and would do it for free, but you are taking some of her family time away - no matter how much she/they love your LO. 

I will definetly take this into consideration!  Thank you!

I'm hoping to get more answers still too!

• I would pay 50$ a night.

The way I see it, you are giving her another 25$ for the rest of the day, plus 25$ for the night (where she'll be sleeping anyways).

Plus, she offered and hasn't named a price.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is she going to be keeping DD the entire time?  If so, I'd be paying her at least $100 a day.  There is a larger responsibility here.

I also don't see watching her overnight as something to pay her less for.  You're really paying for peace of mind - knowing yoru child is in good hands - more so than you are the actual act of "caring" for your child.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think my answer depends on how good of a sleeper she is.  If she goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up 12 hours later, $50 a night will probably do.  If she wakes up at 5am or multiple times per night needing attention, I'd do $100. 
  • I would give her $25 for the day and $50 for the evening (double the regular fee) = $75. And the pizza money would be a great idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, we are dropping her off on Sunday afternoon and picking her up Tuesday evening, so she will have her the entire time.  (we offered to drop DD off later on Sunday night and she said "no, Sunday 2pm is just fine for us, don't worry about it")

DD is an ok/good sleeper.  She "fights going to sleep", but goes to sleep around 8pm and wakes up around 8:30am.  She typically wimpers a few times through the night, but will go right back to sleep if you lay your hand on her.  We are working right now on keeping her in her crib all night...about 50% of the time she wakes up in the middle of the night and we bring her into our bed, so we have been trying to keep her sleeping in her crib through the whole night...the last few nights have gone really well, so fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone for your answers, I really appreciate the help!

• I would do $150 for the entire stay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For me, with my current 'set' of providers, I would probably pay about $400 for that time frame.

Based on what you pay for daily care, I think my rate would be too high for your situation, but I would treat it this way:

Sunday: part of the day is taken by your DD - $20

Sunday night: $50/night (double-time the daily rate for overnight care)

Monday am: extra $25

Monday: $25 standard rate

Monday night: $50/night (double-time the daily rate for overnight care)

Tuesday am: extra $25

Tuesday: $25 standard rate

Tuesday evening: extra fee depending on when you pick her up

Throw in pizza/spending money and call it $250. (which $50 of it you would pay anyway)

I agree with a PP that you are not just paying for care-time, but your provider's time, availability, flexibility, etc.  I definitely think that money care time needs to be considered in addition to night-time care time.

Good luck and enjoy your time away!

• I would do more than $50 and throw in the pizza!
  • I think $100/night is a fair price. I think there's a huge difference between watching a child during the day and keeping them at night. If she's not wanting to name a price, just pay her when you get back from your trip and if she still refuses, put it in your next tuition check to her.
  • It costs $40-50 per night to board your dog in a good home boarding (non-kennel) facility so I'd pay at least $80/night for DS.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd say $250 min. for the entire stay. If I could afford to, I'd pay $400  for the same time frame. The pizza is a great idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"