Toddlers: 24 Months+

transition to a bed...

We got DS a toddler bed.  It's been set up, in his room, for a few weeks now.  We'd sit on it and do books before nap & bedtime.  He seems to really like the bed.  Our plan was to start using the bed for naps and then move onto overnight.  Yesterday was our first nap attempt and it went great - DS slept 2 1/2hrs.  I tried to do nap again in the bed and DS says "mama, sleep in this bed (pointing to his crib)" I tried to convince him to sleep in his big boy bed, but I didn't want to force anything so he's sleeping in his crib.

Baby number 2 is due in February, so I was hoping to have DS in a bed by then - so there are no issues after the baby is here.  The baby will be in my room, for the first 3 months, but I just don't want DS to think the baby is taking his crib. 

Any suggestions, tips or tricks to a smooth crib to bed transition?  TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: transition to a bed...

• We moved DS1 to his toddler bed two months before DS2 was due. We had to great peices of advise that I always pass on. Our advise had been to give him time to not think that the crib was his and the baby was taking it over his crib and move cold turkey. I put things in the crib like toys and laundry baskets. I don't remember how long it took to smoothly transfer. But I do remember that the pedi had recommended we take the crib down if the protests continued. It did not come to that for us. The crib and bed were in the same room.

I think being confident in what you are doing. Don't second guess that he is ready. Don't let his asking for the crib deter you. Talk it up. That it is so exciting that he is a big boy in a big boy bed. Tell him you are so proud when he does nap. Honestly I would put him to bed and nap in the big boy bed for the smoothest transition. Being consistant when you are changing anything is best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"