Working Moms
Options

When does going back to work get easier?

For you, was there a week when you suddenly felt more at ease with being gone?  I am still constantly fantasizing about quitting, and I feel like a zombie at work.  This is my 4th week back, but I'm still somewhat on leave as I'm only back 2 days a week instead of my usual 40+ hrs..Before I got pregnant I was on the "executive track" but was starting to have some thoughts of looking for another job (possibly w/in my company) if that helps with my POV.

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

Re: When does going back to work get easier?

• Options
    oh, and I felt fine the first 2 weeks but last week and today I'm :(

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options

I felt a lot better when my DD started STTN; it also helped that I really looked at our financial situation and my mental/emotional health and decided that I really did need to be at work - me SAHM just wasn't an option - so once I accepted that and stopped trying to figure out, it was easier to do it.  It also helped when I saw how well DD was doing at daycare. 

I knwo I'm not cut out to be a SAHM and DD gets a lot more out of daycare than she'd ever get by being w/ me FT.  But, I'd love it if there was a way to be home MORE.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO does usually sleep 5-7 hours, but he won't go down until about midnight and is crying and crying, and we are losing our minds with that.  So, that is good to know, though...we are putting more effort into his bedtime routine, and I hope that helps my attitude.  Thanks for your response!

• Options
    I've been back at work for 3 mo. and I'm finally feeling good about it. Of course I still miss DS deeply but it's gotten MUCH MUCH easier. :) It will for you too. Just give it time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You might try putting him down earlier - he may be ready for an earlier bedtime now.

At 3ish months, my daughter went to "bed" around 8:30/9, slept until 2ish had a bottle and then back to sleep until 6 or 7.  If your LO's crying and crying, something's "off" and you should work with your DH to take shifts so you can each get some sleep.

When you really are at your wit's end, try taking off work for the day and sending LO to daycare so you can sleep for a bit - or even just have a little time to yourself. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think I felt somewhat better after about a month, but significantly better once DS started sleeping through the night.  Once DS settled in at daycare a little more, I was able to stop worrying about that and developing alternative plans and able to focus on work a little more.

I also was able to go to 4 days a week (32 hours) and that helped significantly! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I think it got easier when I finally decided to cut my hours.  LOL! 

Although we can afford for me to stay at home, I"m just not a SAHM material.  I like my job, but my aspirations to move up is out the window.  I don't really care about moving up anymore.  I prefer the flexibility of my current position (being able to cut my hours).  Not to enjoy LO though but to give myself a break/day-off.  Perhaps when she finally sleep through the night every night, then I can use the extra day off to have fun with her.  But for now, I prefer to waste it all on me for my sanity.  Smile

• Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  This is my 4th week back and I think it's getting harder, not easier.  I'm lucky - DD has been STTN for awhile now,and I work from home on Fridays, but it's still really hard for me.  I feel like someone else is raising my daughter.  And now I'm constantly worried about my bm supply.  All my back-up frozen bm is gone.  Last night I added an extra 2am pumping session because I was worried I wouldn't have enough milk for her today, and I'm not ready to supplement.  I really do hope it gets easier soon.  Luckily DH is understanding and comforts me every night when I start crying.  Wow - sorry this has turned into a really depressing reply!!  I am grateful for this board.  It's so nice to read about other people feeling the same way I am.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagewini77:

It's so nice to read about other people feeling the same way I am.

I need to edit myself - I mean it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I certainly don't want anyone else to be sad, too!!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was off for 12 weeks and it took me a good 12 weeks back on before I felt like I could handle it.  Sometime around the 12th week it all clicked and fell into place.  I still have my off weeks, though, and I've been doing this for 5 years now.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"