Breastfeeding
Options

Has anyone taken decongestants while BFing?

I'm absolutely miserable with a head cold right now (and thankfully DD hasn't caught it...yet) and I called the pedi to ask if it's safe for me to take a decongestant.  The nurse said it's safe, but it may decrease my milk supply.  Has anyone taken it while BFing?  If so, did you notice a big decrease in your supply?  DD nurses every 4 hours and has been STTN since last week.  I have about 100 oz in my freezer, just in case.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone taken decongestants while BFing?

• Options
    I took Claritin once when DD was about 3 weeks old and I was near death with a sinus infection.  It was that or Benadryl and I had read that Benadryl would dry up my milk.  I wouldn't take the Claritin-D either; just regular Claritin.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I took one dose of Sudafed about two weeks ago.  I called the LC and she recommended one that you had to take every 4-6 hours and that only had 1 active ingredient.  She said that it might affect my supply and to pump three times a day any day that I took it and to increase my fluids.  I only took one dose because my LO ended up very fussy and nursed almost hourly that day.  If her behavior had carried over to the next day I would have considered it a growth spurt but it seemed to stop one the medicine was out of my system so I didn't risk taking it again.  But I have no proof that the medicine actually affected my supply.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"