North Carolina Babies

need some advice picking an OB.. (long)

so just found out last week that we're expecting #2! we're super excited about it, but now i've got a dilemma. 

we've moved since last year when i had ds... but not so far away that i couldn't use the same ob/gyn.. however, it's almost an hour away, as would the hospital.  

so, i kind of need to make a decision in the next couple weeks on whether i want to go back to the same practice, or find a local one and deliver locally.  

the hospital that's an hour away is a better hospital w/a nicu and all, vs the one here which i have reserved thoughts about.   ultimately, i'm sure the local hospital is fine, but honestly i'd prefer the better one.

BUT, i honestly don't know that i can handle the car ride when i'm in labor.  last time around, i woke up in labor, there were no signs it was coming.  i was in full out labor and labored very quickly, less than 7 hours from beginning to end.  so i'm worried about laboring even quicker with baby #2 as well.   and with having ds to worry about as well, i'm thinking that the local hospital might be a better choice since it's about 10 min away.  it would be easier for dh to go back and forth with ds.  

so wwyd?  pick the better hospital w/doctors you're already familiar with, but it's an hour away...  or find a new doctor and stay  local.  

also, last time around i had GD and ended up w/weekly u/s and insulin injections... so i'm odds are i'll end up high risk again due to that.  in which case, a closer doctor would be nice since i'll be visiting often.  

i'm leaning towards finding a new doctor here but wanted to get some outside opinions.  i've talked about it w/dh and he shares my thoughts pretty much across the board.  i know many women make an hour or more trip for labor, so i know it's not uncommon, but it just doesn't seem ideal to me at all!  but maybe you guys have some advice about that that i haven't thought of. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: need some advice picking an OB.. (long)

• I'd probably try a local doctor and see how you feel about the practice and try to get more info on the hospital.  I definitely wouldn't want to have to travel an hour to the doctor/hospital.

And Congrats on number 2!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Where we live, the hospitals, doctors, etc. are fine I'm sure, but I have my reservations as well. I chose an OB and hospital that is about an hour away with DS and even though my DH whined and complained about it at first, I think ultimately we were both more comfortable being at a place with doctors and midwives we trusted and a hospital that we knew would be able to handle something should a problem arrise. It made my stress level almost non-existant just trusting that everyone we had selected knew what they were doing and knew how to handle a bad situation should it arrise. I think peace of mind in a situation involving pregnancy/labor is worth the drive.

GL!! and congrats on baby number 2!! Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy!! Smile

• Loading the player...
  • First, congratulations to you! That's wonderful news!!

I would go with a practice that is closer to you. With as many appts as you will have, especially at the end, it's just easier when it's more convenient to get to the practice. Plus, you'll have greater piece of mind knowing that the hospital is close if you need to get there quickly.

I wouldn't be as concerned with having a NICU in the hospital you deliver at. The chances are low that you will need one and if you do, your DC can be taken to one quickly via ambulance or airlift.

Good luck with your decision.

• I would look more into the closer OB/hospital.

Congratulations on #2! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations on #2 - how exciting!  I would definitely choose the closer OB / hospital.  I had GD with #1 and now with #2 and I found them much more stringent with #2 on appointments and U/S and overall monitoring.  It stresses me out too b/c I have to drive almost an hour round trip to the diabetes crazies for all this stuff.  So - definitely save youself some time and go with the closer one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • thanks ladies!  this is all great advice.  i think i'll try a local doc first (there's only 2 practices that i've found, so hopefully they're taking new patients!!) and if i don't feel comfortable w/them then i'll go back to my old practice. 
  • I just wanted to say congratulations!
  • congrats and i'd def. pick the one closer by!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"