Working Moms

Being a working mom sucks....

After figuring out the pick up/drop off schedule with DH tonight. Pretty much M-F we will just get the waking up and going to bed time with him. And in the evening usually is his crabby time. So every week someone else gets all the good time with him. Crying
DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz

Re: Being a working mom sucks....

• I hear ya.

Our schedule looks like this:

Get up at 5:30 (usually DD wakes up at this time too).

I bring DD downstairs and let her play with a few toys on the floor while I make DH's coffee, get my lunch together, etc.  DD is now old enough to hold her own bottle, so I usually bring her in the bathroom (or the bedroom right outside the bathroom) and prop her up in the boppy while she feeds herself her bottle and I brush my hair/teeth/get dressed/etc.

6:15 we leave to drop DH at work at 6:45, then we drive to my mom's (she watches DD while we work) and get there around 7.  I have about a half hour of hangout time with DD while I'm there, and then I leave for work at 7:30.

I commute and am at work from 7:30-5 (work 8-4:30, half hour commute). 

At 5 I pick up DD and DH and we drive home (which usually takes 30-45 minutes in rush hour traffic).

we get home around 6ish and feed DD her dinner, then she plays in her high chair while we eat dinner.

then around 7 or 730 we give her a bath/PJs and put her to bed.

Total, I get 530-615, 7-730, 6-7 or 730 with her...so around 2 hours all day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It might not be your style, but when my LO was teeny-tiny, we did a lot of bedsharing so we could cuddle all night long.  DS slept with one or both of us most of the time from when I went back to work, until he was about 10 months old.  Also, I was in no hurry to night-wean (he didn't STTN until 11ish months).  It gets easier when they're older and they're able to stay up a little later in the evening.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the bedsharing. All of us sleep together and the cuddling is some of our favorite times.
  • imageSpenjamins:
    I second the bedsharing. All of us sleep together and the cuddling is some of our favorite times.

I wish I liked bed sharing. We did at the beginning (until four months or so), but DD moves all over the place and I can barely handle having DH in bed with me. Really, I'd like a king size bed all to myself. Stick out tongue

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejenny1980:

imageSpenjamins:
    I second the bedsharing. All of us sleep together and the cuddling is some of our favorite times.

I wish I liked bed sharing. We did at the beginning (until four months or so), but DD moves all over the place and I can barely handle having DH in bed with me. Really, I'd like a king size bed all to myself. Stick out tongue

Believe me, it is a trade-off. My sons like to rub our hair/heads in the middle of the night like security blankets and one of my sons loves to run his fingers over my eyelashes.  But we have done it for so long now, we are used to it.  And when they look at me and say "Mommy, come lay down with me!" and they press their little faces to mine how can I say no?

I do think that some time soon they'll want to kick us out. We are going to get them big boy beds for Christmas and move them in to a bigger bedroom to see if they will like it. Right now we are all on AeroBeds in their room for safety.

• Yes, for now. I get DS from daycare around 4:15 if I don't have errands; DH gets home around 6:15. Right now DS naturally doesn't go/stay asleep until 8:30, but I worry whether he's really getting enough sleep and if we should try to make an earlier bedtime, even though it means less time with him right now. But their sleep is sooo important, and in a few years, there will be plenty of quality time with them at night when they're ready to handle it. We treasure the weekends and snuggle with him during the weeks when we can. It gets easier, even if we don't really like it.
  • I know. I have the same situation. I thought at first that it would really bother me. However, I am so exhausted by the ned of the day that I am happy when I put LO down for the night. You can make up for it on the weekends and vacations.
  • I feel the same way.  Right now I get maybe 30 minutes with her when I feed her in the morning and then only an hour or hour and a half with her before she goes to sleep at night.  This is my 4th week back at work, and I'm having a rough time with it.  =(
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Things will change a lot over the next few months so remember, this is very temporary.  If you really want to see LO, wake him up early to cuddle.  When my first LO was born, I left for work before he had to wake up, so I'd wake him up at 5:30 for a bottle and we'd cuddle and then I'd put him back to sleep at 6:15 so I could shower and get ready. 
  • I'm waking up 1/2 hour earlier now so I can cuddle, read books, and give DS a bottle before work. DS is also crabby at night, but he loves his baths. Bathtime is fun to bond too. I really look forward to his "bedtime routine."

You'll make up for it on the weekends, don't worry!

• Yup.  Plus, I know DH and I are tired after working all day, so we don't have the energy we'd like to have to play with DS.  And then it's hard when DS is home for a long weekend (like the Thanksgiving weekend we just had) because come Monday morning, he cries when DH drops him off at daycare. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually did much better when I worked part-time.  I felt like I had a lot more time with my DS than I do now working full-time.  It's been bumming me out lately. 
  • imageeSynergy:

I'm waking up 1/2 hour earlier now so I can cuddle, read books, and give DS a bottle before work. DS is also crabby at night, but he loves his baths. Bathtime is fun to bond too. I really look forward to his "bedtime routine."

You'll make up for it on the weekends, don't worry!

I too wake up earlier than I need to for some morning play time. We also bedshare when DS wakes up in the middle of the night. I nurse him back to sleep and he stays in bed until I'm up for the day. We try to make weekends fun times and do stuff as a family that DS enjoys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"