Breastfeeding

Losing weight with BFing

Everyone always says that BFing helps you lose weight....well I have not had that happen yet? Does it really or is it bs?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com

Re: Losing weight with BFing

• I think it depends, for some it does and others no. I read somewhere online that supposedly for your body to produce 1 oz of milk it burns 20 calories. I think BF helped me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight but I've pretty much stayed there which is okay for me. Other things like stress and eating habits will affect weight loss. Also, between meals if I think I'm hungry, I'm usually just thirsty. So I try drinking water first to see if that helps.
  • I gained 44 while Pregnant and have lost it all, I try to eat healthy but I eat a lot (and could eat better) I try to exercise but don't have much time.  I'm been at my pre-p weight for at least a month but my clothes are now fitting better and the scale hasn't changed.  So for me BF does help, but the weight has been coming off very slowly.

My ob told me that I may not lose the last 5-10 lbs until I stopped BF. 

• Loading the player...
  • I guess it depends on the person.

It has worked for me. I'm below my pregnancy weight and eat a lot. I try to eat healthy for the most part. But I definitely don't limit myself that much either.

I love that BF has allowed me to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes and it feels great.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • I gained too much weight during pregnancy.  Some of it was water weight and I lost a good chunk of that right away.  I have about 20 lbs to go to be where I'd like to be (15 lbs to pre-pregnancy weight).  I eat pretty healthy and play w/ LO like a weight sometimes.

I think BF helps some but I'd really like to get back to the gym.  I'm really paranoid about tanking my supply though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.Handy:

I guess it depends on the person.

It has worked for me. I'm below my pregnancy weight and eat a lot. I try to eat healthy for the most part. But I definitely don't limit myself that much either.

I love that BF has allowed me to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes and it feels great.

This exactly.  I am fortunate enough to be below pre-pregnancy weight by 10 lbs.

• Hasnt helped me! I haven't lost any weight since week 3.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think it does depend on the person.  Some people are hungry all the time when they BF so they eat more and don't lose weight as quickly.  I never really feel that hungry and DS keeps me pretty busy all day so I don't eat very much. 

I still haven't found time to exercise so thankfully BF has helped me lose the weight.  My old jeans started fitting at 4-4.5 months and now at almost 6 months I'm 5 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight.

ETA: I lost a lot at first but the last 10 pounds of baby weight came off very slowly.  If you're only a month or two out don't worry, you might start losing soon.  It's just very gradual so it's hard to notice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• after the first huge drop (baby, placenta, "water"...) it came off very slowly but at 6 months i was finally able to fit in my prepreg jeans.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, some of you are really lucky! I wish I was that lucky :/  

I'm definitely going to have to work really hard to get where I want to be, and I think it will take longer than I'd like it to, bc it def has already so far! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • I have not been able to lose my pregnancy weight either.  I am stuck at the same weight I was at 2 months post part, LO is almost 5 months.  I could cut down my portions but I do not want to totally restrict myself and not be eating enough calories.  I did go through a period of eating everything in site, but that was a few months ago.  Since 2 months pp I have been walking.  Now that I am back to work, I walk 3-4 mornings and run in the afternoon.   I am beginning to think the benefit of BF and losing weight is not in my genes and I am not a big girl either.
  • I'm 5 pounds under my pre-pregnany weight but I think I've also lost a lot of muscle. Blah!

• imagealliwalton:
    I have not been able to lose my pregnancy weight either.  I am stuck at the same weight I was at 2 months post part, LO is almost 5 months.  I could cut down my portions but I do not want to totally restrict myself and not be eating enough calories.  I did go through a period of eating everything in site, but that was a few months ago.  Since 2 months pp I have been walking.  Now that I am back to work, I walk 3-4 mornings and run in the afternoon.   I am beginning to think the benefit of BF and losing weight is not in my genes and I am not a big girl either.

Same here! 

• It has worked for me. I am 15 lbs below my pre pregnancy weight, the lowest weight I have been in years. I am actually a bit nervous about when I stop breastfeeding. I don't want to gain the weight back!

• Hasn't worked for me AT ALL.  Bitterness party of one right here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMermaidNM:
    Hasn't worked for me AT ALL.  Bitterness party of one right here.

Make that party of two..I'll join you! 

• Make that party of two!  I am with you.
  • I think it really depends on the person. I didn't really gain much weight (maybe 10 pounds) while pregnant and DD was almost 10 pounds. I'm  now 30 pounds below my PP weight. But I clearly lost weight while pregnant given my minimal weight gain.

I was starving the first few weeks and hardly had time to eat. I've bene holding pretty stable lately so now I'll have to work at it to lose more weight like I'd like. But I may just need to wait until I'm done nursing.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"