Georgia Babies

Little boys and public bathrooms...

OMFG!! He touches EVERYTHING! I try not to totally freak so that he won't defy me on purpose but the germaphobe in me is secretly screaming inside. He also thinks he needs to be completely naked. So imagine me trying to hold his clothes, point the garden hose down so he doesn't pee ON me and make sure he doesn't contract the plague. Then there are the conversations. LMAO the potty talk where people can hear and the cheering for himself are ridiculously hysterical. Heaven forbid I go, he cheers for me and instructs me to use TP like I haven't been taking care of myself my whole life. I am going to start a blog called confessions from within the stalls: The adventures of potty training. He also jiggles the flusher constantly,GROSS! I am trying to teach him to use his foot. I feel like I need a gallon of hand sanitizer in my purse. What are your public bathroom practices? How do you keep them from touching everything and stripping? Boys will be boys I guess. 
Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Little boys and public bathrooms...

• he will eventually get over stripping down naked, Finn did this too for a while but I think it only lasted maybe two months TOPS.  I've let go alot of my germophobe things and just scrub the bejeesus out of his hands before we leave the bathroom, I always preface any bathroom trips with "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!".  sometimes it works sometimes not so much.  but I agree the conversations in public bathrooms are hilarious.  he wants to know what everyone else is always doing......I'm also lucky that he seems to have inherited my bladder and can go like 8 hours without peeing which means I rarely have to step foot in a public bathroom!  and....he pees on a lot of trees!  ;)
  • I usually try to use the biggest stall so we can have more room instead of being in a tiny stall were he has no  choice but to want and touch everything.  I also try and talk to him to distract him.  Also when it is my turn to potty I say things like "hold my mommy's purse" or  "hold mommy's arm."  It works for the most part.
  • Loading the player...
  • LMAO- could have written this myself.  I gave up on the touching everything issue and just decided to totally bathe him in the sink when we are done.  And then use a wet wipe.  And then hand sanitizer.  As for the undressing thing, this has been a MAJOR issue for us.  Gavin also insists on being naked from the waist down.  Including shoes/socks.  I don't know how to break this habit.  He has only stood up to pee once... at school, when 2 other boys were doing it at the same time so it was like a game- lol.  He has zero desire to even try it at home or out in public.  Although, I have a friend whose son only pees standing up and thats a problem in public too b/c the potties are too tall for him so she will try standing him on the seat but it inevitably goes everywhere.  You just can't win.  And yes, the potty chat is oh so fun- "Mommy poops?  Daddy poops?  Gabba no poops!".  DH and I have been sharing the public potty duty but I told him that after Sophie gets here, this is his department.  If I have to BF, he has to deal with this...

• I'm sorry, I have nothing to offer here.  I know my time is coming soon so I'm soaking up the PT stories and tips.  

I do have to say that I think that would make for an awesome blog though :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • The first thing Geneva does in a public bathroom is grab the top ring of the toilet. Yuck. But there's no battle. We just do our business, wash our hands really well and head out. But the stripping? You got me. That adds a whole new twist to things.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This sounds similar to us except that Ethan doesn't take his clothes off.  He does love to touch everything and loves to talk which always cracks me up.  I have heard people laughing in other stalls from things that Ethan says.  And, of course, he always has to ask if I need to pee pee or poop in the potty.  Gee...thanks, kid!  I just try my best to get him to touch as little as possible and always makes sure that he washes his hands well.  My biggest thing is trying to keep him from touching the handle on the door when we go to leave.  I always use a paper towel. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oy, if you saw how we do it...

I make him put his hands his belly so he doesn't touch anything and then I pull his pants down from behind him, pick him up and aim him for the potty. It works and no part of that toilet touches my kid. Audrey on the other hand is so hard b/c she HAS to sit and she, without fail, grabs onto the middle "drip" edge of the rim. So effing disgusting!!! 

• when we are in public i just push his pants/underwear down below the potty line (knees) and  let him stand on my feet.  he loves that, so it works pretty easily.  

he likes to flush too, but the last few places he went were auto flush.  less touching.

oh, and when he's standing on my feet he holds his shirt up, so no seat touching either. 

i'm not sure where he picked up standing to pee - school maybe? - but that's all he'll do now. 

• Well my main battle in public bathrooms is not so much Jack (he just does his business, flushes, and then we wash hands)...but Ethan!!  It kills me when Jack has to poop when we are in public, because it usually takes him a good 10-15 minutes to go...which means I have to spend that entire time keeping Ethan from crawling on the floor, licking the trashcan, screaming as loud as he can b/c he likes the echo, omg!!!  I always beg Jack to hold it and promise to go straight home, but we've had to do it 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks and I'm so grossed out.
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • imageUGAbride:
    Well my main battle in public bathrooms is not so much Jack (he just does his business, flushes, and then we wash hands)...but Ethan!!  It kills me when Jack has to poop when we are in public, because it usually takes him a good 10-15 minutes to go...which means I have to spend that entire time keeping Ethan from crawling on the floor, licking the trashcan, screaming as loud as he can b/c he likes the echo, omg!!!  I always beg Jack to hold it and promise to go straight home, but we've had to do it 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks and I'm so grossed out.

OMG! LMAO @ lick the trashcan!  I sure hope you're kidding but have a feeling you're not. Boys are so gross haha. 

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I send him in with DH and am a firm believer in "don't ask/don't tell" 

• Lauren, I wish I was kidding!!  It's just SO hard to hold him for that long (he's heavy!), when of course he is bored and we can't leave the bathroom.  And then I have to wipe Jack, and Ethan has actually run to other stalls and put his hands in the potty water while I'm not looking, or crawled under the stall while someone is in there!  Again, I DREAD public bathrooms with him when I've got to wait/help Jack, ick. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"