Working Moms

Do you keep your LO out of daycare a few days before a big trip?

Or would you if you had the option?  (ie. babysitter or DH to watch your kid)  I just don't want him catching a cold before a full day of flying and a week of travel!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you keep your LO out of daycare a few days before a big trip?

• If the reason is germ control - no.  You have no way of knowing when or how he will be exposed to something.  Plus, you will probably need the time to get things done for the trip without your LO in tow.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Yes it's for germ control...daycare is the only place he's exposed since he's an only child, neither DH nor I work in an office and with the recent weather DS has been cooped up in the house all day.  Yes I do need him out of the house to get ready for the trip, just trying to balance that need against him getting sick.
  • Loading the player...
  • That has never even occurred to me.  As pp said, I usually need him to be in daycare to get things ready and finish stuff at work before vacation.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This has never occurred to me either.  There's no guarantee he won't catch something on the plane anyway.  Or at the babysitter's.  Or while he's out with DH and not at school.
  • hell no :)

i pay for daycare if they are there or not - i'm certainly not going to keep them home and pay a babysitter just to HOPE they don't get sick.  They can get sick any time - from anything... from ME, DH, anywhere.

my kids go to school no matter what (as long as they are not sick at the time!)

• No. We just go with the flow. There's no way of knowing if he'll catch anything or not. I'd rather get my money's worth out of the tuition I pay each week.

• imageGoldie_Locks_5:

hell no :)

i pay for daycare if they are there or not - i'm certainly not going to keep them home and pay a babysitter just to HOPE they don't get sick.  They can get sick any time - from anything... from ME, DH, anywhere.

Yeah so do I, but I'm thinking that it's cheaper to pay for a couple days of missed daycare than to pay the change fee on an airline ticket if DS gets sick!

• Eh, probably not. For colds, the incubation period can be anywhere from 24 hrs to 5 days, so it would be hard to judge if DS is going to get sick.

But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and keep him home.

• Hell no but I would take a day off of work!
  • imageSpenjamins:
    Hell no but I would take a day off of work!

Hahaha! Yes

• imagesnansley:

Eh, probably not. For colds, the incubation period can be anywhere from 24 hrs to 5 days, so it would be hard to judge if DS is going to get sick.

I agree with this...you never know the incubation period.  Generally, I find the day before a big trip that I'm running around trying to get everything taken care of - whether that be work related, personal related, packing, gettting last minute items, etc. So I find having the kids out of my hair is ideal.

• I wouldn't, it might make your traveling easier to stay on a routine up until your departure too.  My LO has a great schedule at DC and as soon it is more difficult to stay in a routine if we are running around (and preparing for a big trip).
  • imagemtnrider:
    Yes it's for germ control...daycare is the only place he's exposed since he's an only child, neither DH nor I work in an office and with the recent weather DS has been cooped up in the house all day.  Yes I do need him out of the house to get ready for the trip, just trying to balance that need against him getting sick.

Well, if you hire a babysitter, she'll bring her own germs! If you or DH goes grocery shopping, you could bring home a cold.

So no, I don't keep DD out of daycare. If I could put her in a bubble for the few days before the trip to completely avoid ANY exposure to the outside world, MAYBE I'd consider it. But I can't, so I don't bother.

She has gotten sick right before a couple of trips (for example, just last week, she had an ear infection two days before we left for Thanksgiving) but we've just dealt with those situations as they've come up.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• imagemtnrider:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Yeah so do I, but I'm thinking that it's cheaper to pay for a couple days of missed daycare than to pay the change fee on an airline ticket if DS gets sick!

then you better keep your child out of daycare all month... b/c they can catch things and it won't show up for a week.... really -it's a bit much to do this... if it makes you feel better- go for it -- but I know plenty of kids who are home every day with mommy (SAHMs) and get sick all the time.... you can't keep kids from getting sick.

• Considering DH and I both have to put in extra hours before and after any time off work there would be no way. Plus I have to save my PTO for when he is sick rather than preventing sickness.
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

THIS.  Are you kidding me?  How else am I supposed to pack and clean?  LOL

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No - this would never occur to me.  DD can travel and fly w/ a cold just like I can.  I'm not overly concerned about her catching a cold/getting sick though.  I think its easier in general for her if she stays on her regular schedule as much as possible - so disrupting her to stay home for few days cooped up w/ me to prevent a cold/illness on a trip taht will disrupt her more would not be worth it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well I know it doesn't eliminate the risk but it does reduce it. But I guess everyone is right that it doesn't make sense to keep him home, I wouldn't get any packing done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"