Austin Babies

cashing check ?

I have a check and its made out to both me and DH.  There's no "and" or "or".  It just has both our names, one on top of the other.

I'd like to go cash it today but DH didn't sign it.  Will it need both our signatures or should just mine be enough?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: cashing check ?

• I've never had to when depositing a check that was made out to Mr. & Mrs or to J and D...But maybe cashing is different.

I'd just forge his signature if you need it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejml5q:

I've never had to when depositing a check that was made out to Mr. & Mrs or to J and D...But maybe cashing is different.

I'd just forge his signature if you need it.

I meant deposit.  I don't need the cash in hand :)

It doesn't say Mr & Mrs, though.  That's what is throwing me off.  Its written,

DH LastName
    Ali LastName

• I'd just sign it for him. I mean, assuming you have his permission and you aren't stealing his money, and all Wink
  • Technically if you're cashing it you need both.  Some tellers don't care but by law you're supposed to have both.  I can also say that a teller isn't going to be ok with you forging the signature in front of them.  When I was a teller people would pull this and it made me so mad, I couldn't take it.  But like pp said if you deposit it into an account that both of you are on you won't need his.
  • if you're depositing into an account with his name on it, then it's fine with only one signature. 

i haven't worked in a bank for a LONG time, but if I remember right, we treated 2 listed names the same as if they had an "&".  the only time it was ok for only 1 siggie and cash was if it explicitly said "or". 

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, its being deposited into a joint account with both our names.  So I should be good with the one signature?  I'll try, at least!

Its not completely necessary to have it today, just more convenient for me since today I have a few of those mystical errands that normal people run all the time :)

• yep, you should be good to deposit it into a joint account!  i do that all the time with our "mr & mrs" checks and never had any problems with just my siggie. 
    image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageali-1411:

Yes, its being deposited into a joint account with both our names.  So I should be good with the one signature?  I'll try, at least!

Its not completely necessary to have it today, just more convenient for me since today I have a few of those mystical errands that normal people run all the time :)

i NEVER sign any of my checks i deposit and they all get in my account fine. so you're good with whatever you do.

• imageali-1411:

Yes, its being deposited into a joint account with both our names.  So I should be good with the one signature?  I'll try, at least!

i NEVER sign any of my checks i deposit and they all get in my account fine. so you're good with whatever you do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"