Northern California Babies
Options

My son is breech :(

I just got back from an appointment this afternoon, and he's breech.  Obviously there is still time for him to move and she said there's plenty of room in there for him to move, but she did go ahead and schedule me for a c-section now.  It's not the end of the world, I'm just a little bummed I won't get the full experience of going into labor and everything else.  The official date is Dec 18 for now unless something happens between now and then...eeek...that's just over 2 weeks away!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My son is breech :(

• Options
    aw man, I'm sorry. I remember when I was pg my mom told me about some exercises to do to help baby turn, I didn't end up needing them though so I'm not sure if they work. Maybe someone else will chime in with some good tricks. In the the meantime lots of turning dust for the baby!
  • Options

I'm sure Celyn will have some advice. I remember something about a polar bear pose to get the baby to move around, not sure if it applies to breech or just the anterior vs posterior head position. 

I'm sorry, I had the C-section too and it did seem like a huge bummer at the time but now it seems like ancient history.  sorry! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The chances of him turning without doing anything on your part, at this point, is pretty slim.  It can happen, but it's not something to bank on.  However, there are many things you can do to encourage the baby to turn.  I've had clients babies who've turned up to nearly 40 weeks with a little effort.  The least effort involves merely your own body position -- lots of downward dog, eagle pose, and other body inversions can do it (see spinningbabies.com for instructions).  Then there's acupuncture and chiropractic.  Acupuncture and moxibustion have a significantly better success rate than an OB doing an version.  A chiropractor who uses the in-utero contraint technique has a 75-95% chance of turning the baby successfully without the risks that a physical version entails.
  • Options

Exact same thing happened to me.  And I was bummed I wouldn't get the full experience of going into labor either, and considered an external version (the chances of it working ended up being too low to go through with it.)  But...surprise, surprise my water broke at home and I started going into labor on my own before they took me into surgery.  So I got to experience a little bit of both. :)

Hopefully he'll turn on his own, but if he doesn't I wish you an fast surgery and easy recovery!

• Options
    I used moxibustion- through an accupuncturist- then also at home- and it worked like a charm!  My breech guy turned at 36 weeks and I had him at 38!  If you want to work toward having him turn- find an accupuncturist with experience flipping babies!- and do all the extra stuff Celyn said- its all worth it in my opinion!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had an external version done at 36 weeks and while they get a bad name they aren't as scary as people make them out to be. If you want a vaginal birth, and want to think about a version feel free to reach out to me.
  • Options
    Hopefully some of the suggestions here work!
  • Options
    All good advice here. I wish I had known my LO was breech before I got to the hospital and was 9.5 cm! Had I known sooner, I would have definitely tried some of these suggestions. I will say as someone else that actually went into labor and expirienced almost all of it, the c-section wasn't my fave thing, but definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone is different, and while it was tough not being able to do a lot the first few weeks, in the end, I had the same result, a healthy happy beautiful baby. And for me, that was the important thing (going through labor or not). Hang in there. And I can't believe you are so close!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Bumpie Naz91804's baby was also breech, and flipped at 38 weeks after she used the techniques on the spinningbabies site. So it can definitely work! I haven't seen her on here in a long time but if you want I can put you in touch with her. Good luck to you for either the baby turning or an easy C-section with a quick recovery!
  • Options

I had two breech babies and 2 c-sections, it really isn't that bad! 

I tried all the tricks short of a version with my son and nothing worked.  Walked into the OR on the day of my scheduled c-section and had no problems.

Went into labor with my daughter 2 1/2 weeks early and also had a c-section (Kaiser doesn't try to deliver breech babies vaginally).

I was originally sad that I didn't get to experience the "full experience" with my son, but after going through it with my daughter, it really isn't all that it is cracked up to be :-)

• Options
    The Chiropractor I work for has turned a breech baby in less than 10 visits. There is a specific technique she used. I want to say it is the "Wilson"  but not positive on the name. I can ask her when I see her on Wednesday.
  • Options

I think I posted almost your exact same post just 10 months ago...  I tried everything (yoga, moxibustion, version, etc...) none of it worked and I ended up with a c/s.  I have no regrets that I tried all of those methods.  If you have any questions about them I'm happy to answer. 

I was *really* bummed about it - ok take that back, I almost had a breakdown about it... mostly because surgery is NOT something I had wanted to go through.  And I felt like I had been preparing myself mentally so much for labor and then it all just vanished... one of my friends who also went through the same thing said it felt like preparing for a marathon and then finding out you couldn't even run in the race.  Now, I am not a runner, but I really like that analogy. 

In any case, I have a happy baby and that's all that matters, right?!!   

Anyhow - good luck with the birth - however it turns out!!!   

"Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have an acupuncturist in Sac if you want a rec.... GL with whatever you decide
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    E was sideways the entire time until 38 weeks. You still have plenty of time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"