Cloth Diapering
Options

Newbie trying to learn

Hi guys - I have a feeling I'll be visiting this site a lot in the future.  We just found out we're expecting baby #2.  I didn't CD with my son, but I'm interested in it for baby #2.  I know nothing!  It is really overwhelming to hear all the names, types, etc.  One thing that concerns me is when I hear moms say they've spent $500-$750 on CD.  I'm not sure we'll have anymore kids and cost is the main reason we're considering CD so I'm worried about spending so much.  Any advice you'd have for a CD newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Newbie trying to learn

• Options
    I have spent under $200 and these dipes will hopefully last until she is potty trained.  We started once DD fit into OS diapers and bought mostly pockets.  I do laundry more often, but it is worth it because we are in it to save $$.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is a ton of great info in the FAQ sticky above.  But to address your cost concern $500-$750 on diapers is WAY less than you would spend on disposables for the 2-ish years your baby will be in diapers and when s/he is potty trained you can sell the used diapers and recoup some of that money, making it considerably more cost effective than disposables.  We did the math and found that once LO hit the 9 month mark we had broken even in our diaper cost (compared to if we were buying sposies) and every day after that we are saving money
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I should add that we only spent around $350 - $400 for everything we need to reach potty training
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageked77:
    There is a ton of great info in the FAQ sticky above.  

I was looking for a FAQ and didn't see one...I'll have to check again.  Thanks! 

• Options
    imageJenJar:

imageked77:
    There is a ton of great info in the FAQ sticky above.  

I was looking for a FAQ and didn't see one...I'll have to check again.  Thanks! 

Try this...

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45915662.aspx

it doesn't show up on top for me either. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

if you don't want to spend too much money try the "all in 2 diapers" as opposed to the AIO or All in ones.  you will be able to purchase less diapers and just more cloths (which are cheaper).  We use gdiapers and we bought the new baby bundle and 30 cloths (all for under $200) and that gave us 12 newborn size  and 6 small size, which is fine for gdiapers (we do laundry about every three days).  My DD then moved to mediums and we spent about $120 for cloths and diapers (the med and lg cloths are the same size so if we went to large we would only need to by the covers) but we never got to large because she is potty training now.

There are some people to like the one size diapers but they didn't work for us.  I think the key is to try a few out, and find out what fits your baby, you can always sell the ones you don't like, and when you are done, you can sell the ones you used too!  There are always people on diaperswappers selling off their stash when they are done.  You can also try to get a few used to try out so you don't invest too much in a diaper you might not like!  Good luck!

• Options

Another thing to consider when factoring in the cost, it that CD's have a resale value whereas disposables do not!!   They can also be repurposed.

I suggest doing a diaper trial (I didn't) before settling on one brand and even then don't settle on one brand/type!    Different diapers work for different stages/situations the baby is in.  For example:  Natalie does great in gdiapers for day (I hate them for night) and great in Bum Genius 4's for night.   I also have a short attention span and I like to put different diapers on her whenever I feel like it:)     Variety is fun:)  Another example:  Dominic does just okay in the types of diapers we have, so I'm expanding our stash to include fitteds/wool covers....  

You could also check out ebay/kijiji/craigslist for used CD's to cut back on cost.   

Be careful, though, CDing (and shopping for it) can be addicting!!!   

• Options

Another thing to consider when factoring in the cost, it that CD's have a resale value whereas disposables do not!!   They can also be repurposed.

I suggest doing a diaper trial (I didn't) before settling on one brand and even then don't settle on one brand/type!    Different diapers work for different stages/situations the baby is in.  For example:  Natalie does great in gdiapers for day (I hate them for night) and great in Bum Genius 4's for night.   I also have a short attention span and I like to put different diapers on her whenever I feel like it:)     Variety is fun:)  Another example:  Dominic does just okay in the types of diapers we have, so I'm expanding our stash to include fitteds/wool covers....  

You could also check our ebay/kijiji/craigslist for used CD's to cut back on cost.   

Be careful, though, CDing (and shopping for it) can be addicting!!!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"