South Florida Babies
Options

Tennis questions

Everyone says that tennis after birth hurts or can be uncomfortable.  I can totally understand this being true for vaginal deliveries... but how about for women that delivered via csection?  I don't foresee it hurting, but can totally be wrong.

Also, if you haven't gotten clearance to play tennis, can you begin to "warm up" anyway? 

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Tennis questions

• Options
    I can't give you advice since Aa was vaginal...and it did hurt. But I wanted to say good for you to even have the energy to think about playing a round...even a warm up...with twins. Where do you get your energy?? :)
  • Options
    I was in labor with DD for about 24 hours and never dilated and therefore never pushed (had a c-section). We "played tennis", LOL, at 4.5 weeks (which was okay'd by my OB)...and I was a little sore...more from lack of use. We barely had sex in 3rd tri b/c I was huge and uncomfortable and would get tons of contractions that would just ruin it. It wasn't super painful though...but def get lots of lube!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It can be a hormonal thing, particularly if you are BFing or haven't had your first pp period.  You need estrogen to make natural lubrication.  So otherwise you'll probably need to buy some.

One of the concerns about playing tennis early is that there is basically a wound where the placenta was attached.  The uterus needs to shrink down to pre-pregnancy size to reduce the wound size and allow time for the lining to heal.  You don't want to introduce something that could cause an infection.  I suppose if you weren't ever dilated, then the risk of infection might be less. 

Another concern would be allowing time for the incision and sutures to heal. 

However I'm not a doctor or tennis referee.  I'm sure the nurse has heard stranger questions if you want to call about warming up.  ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageg8orell:
    I was in labor with DD for about 24 hours and never dilated and therefore never pushed (had a c-section). We "played tennis", LOL, at 4.5 weeks (which was okay'd by my OB)...and I was a little sore...more from lack of use. We barely had sex in 3rd tri b/c I was huge and uncomfortable and would get tons of contractions that would just ruin it. It wasn't super painful though...but def get lots of lube!

My "racquet" has been a bit dusty since we didn't play much during the pg!  So I guess the act may be a bit painful, at least I have the heads up. 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageGator09:
    I can't give you advice since Aa was vaginal...and it did hurt. But I wanted to say good for you to even have the energy to think about playing a round...even a warm up...with twins. Where do you get your energy?? :)

Energy comes in spurts... and the courts were empty the other day and the thought crossed my mind, but wasn't sure.  Next OB appt is in 1.5 wks.  I forgot to ask at last appt (I've gone in twice already due to the hight bp). 

-- Jackie
  • Options
    I can't speak from personal experience but from observation, c-section mamas should also wait till cleared. For the reasons of infection, incision healing and not only that...even though the babies may have not passed through the birth canal, your uterus was cut so there is a lot of internal healing going on. everyone's situation may be different though. With evan i was not cleared till 6 weeks but with ethan was cleared at 4. so it all depends! But that's great the that it sounds like you want to get back into the game! ;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We cheated and did it 2 weeks post partum. I had a c-section and never dilated past 5 cm and my recovery was going really well. We just took it really slowly and very gently. It didn't hurt vaginally, but the whole experience was a little uncomfortable because my incision was still a little sore. After that one try, we didn't do it again until i was cleared at 4 weeks pp and at that point it was much more comfortable although we still took it slow and gentle the first few times.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

lol, go Jackie!

I waited until I was cleared at 6 weeks and all was fine after the twins. No pain or dryness and DeLeon restricted all sexual activity some point in the second trimester. I think we were careful and took it slow though jic.

I hope all is going well with you and the boys. You will see how the twins become more fun everyday!!!! I can't belive mine just turned 3!

• Options
    I had one vaginal birth and one c-section.  I also had a pretty severe tear with my 1st, so Im not going to count that one.  I didn't do anything after the C-section until the 6 wk but even then I need LOTS of lube.  I think it might have had something to do with the nursing. But as long as I had that it was fine. Good luck.. :)
  • Options
    I'll let you know how it goes when we get there!
  • Options

I don't play tennis, but I'm a runner and was back to running when I got clearance at 6 weeks pp...like with everything, just see how it feels and if it hurts stop.

I did have to stop because I ahd muscle separation (hello huge twin belly!) and ended up with an umbilical hernia and had to have surgery.  This is very common for big bellies!...so just take it easy and if something doesn't feel right stop and try again later...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageRoseWhite:

I don't play tennis, but I'm a runner and was back to running when I got clearance at 6 weeks pp...like with everything, just see how it feels and if it hurts stop.

I did have to stop because I ahd muscle separation (hello huge twin belly!) and ended up with an umbilical hernia and had to have surgery.  This is very common for big bellies!...so just take it easy and if something doesn't feel right stop and try again later...

they aren't talking about THAT kind of "tennis" if you know what I mean...let's say the bed is the court :) hee hee 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Options
    imageRoseWhite:

they aren't talking about THAT kind of "tennis" if you know what I mean...let's say the bed is the court :) hee hee 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • Options
    imageRoseWhite:

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • Options
    imageRoseWhite:

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • Options
    imageRoseWhite:

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • Options
    imageLina1030:
    imageRoseWhite:

bahahahaha, I'm obviously not hip enough! hahaha...Need to get some sleep and catch up on what the kids are doing these days! hahaha

Thanks Raff!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"