Upstate NY Babies
Options

School me on cloth diapers

OK - I have 9 months to learn about and change my hubby's mind on cloth diapers, but I have no clue where to start!  Any tips would be great.  Brands you prefer?  Websites to learn more?  Thanks!

Re: School me on cloth diapers

• Options
    The Jillian's Drawers site has great info.  They also have a cool $10 trial program if you aren't sure what you want to use.
  • Options

I learned pretty much everything from the cloth diapering board when I was pregnant with DS #1. The Jillians Drawers program might be a great option.  

Also, one of my friends has a blog called mybossisteething.com.  She recently posed a question  about cloth diapering and had tons of responses (myself included) with lots of great suggestions and tips.  She has also been updating her adventures in cloth diapering (keep in mind she is starting with a 9 month old).  

Anyway, my favorite products include my diaper sprayer that is hooked up to my toilet, my blueberry diaper pail liner bags, bum genius 3.0 (they have 4.0s now, but I'm on baby #2 with the same stash). I also LOVE prefolds and use them as long as possible, but they get hard once the baby becomes a monkey to change.  I find them to be trim and very absorbent.  I use green mountain prefolds with thirsties covers.  I also have thirsties fitteds and kissaluvs size 0 for newborn stage.  Overall, I usually reached for prefolds because I found them super easy and more absorbent.  Now we have moved onto Bum Genius AIOs and pockets.  I love the AIOs (again trimmer), but the 3.0/4.0 pockets are more economical and make terrific nighttime diapers since you can add inserts.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I learned almost everything I needed to know from the "Information" tab on Kelly's Closet (https://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diaper-Information_ep_34-1.html). It's easy to convince him: Tell him you'll do the laundry. Tell him it can cost about $500/year to diaper a child in disposables, but $500 for a lifetime of CDing. (OK, I'll admit that I've spent $650 so far on CDs). Tell him about the chemicals used to make diapers, which sit against baby's bottom 24/7.

We tried Fuzzibunz one-size diapers, but they didn't work for us, so we're using BumGenius one-size diapers, which have snaps in the front to adjust the rise of the diapers according to baby's weight/length. They're as easy to use to diaper baby as disposables. The only hitch is washing them frequently enough, and making sure you use the right detergent. They are shaped like a disposable, use velcro tabs, and no pins or rubber pants. Daycare has no problem using them -- the only difference is that they don't throw them away when he's done using a diaper.

Good luck!

• Options
    imageRebekistan:

I learned almost everything I needed to know from the "Information" tab on Kelly's Closet (https://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diaper-Information_ep_34-1.html). It's easy to convince him: Tell him you'll do the laundry. Tell him it can cost about $500/year to diaper a child in disposables, but $500 for a lifetime of CDing. (OK, I'll admit that I've spent $650 so far on CDs). Tell him about the chemicals used to make diapers, which sit against baby's bottom 24/7.

Thanks for the links.  This part kind of scares me - I'm not sure we'll have any more (DH wants to stop at 2) and one of my main arguments is to save us money, so I don't want to end up spending more than I would on disposables.  I guess I have to look more into the prices.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"