Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

nap dilemma advice please!!!

my 2 yr 9 mo old daughter has decided to give up naps...  but is an absolute bear by 4 oclock...  i just dont know what to do...  as a side note we have a new addition to the fam her 3 mo bro...   any suggestions would be great tia!

Re: nap dilemma advice please!!!

• Options
    DS started doing that right around 3. We would tell him that he didn't have to sleep, but he did need to play quietly in his room. And then he would pass out in the middle of his floor on top of a pile of toys, and we would leave him there to sleep. You could also try instituting a quiet time, where you put on some quiet music in her room & lay down with her in bed for awhile. Sometimes just getting rest & quiet without actual sleep is helpful.
  • Options

DS gave up his naps a little while ago, shortly after we switched him to his big boy bed. It was really frustrating at first, b/c he does get pretty miserable by dinner, though it depends on the day. He still gets "quiet time": this means he goes in his room and plays nicely; he goes in his room and is miserable; or, if it's really miserable day and I strongly suspect he will nap, I put the side back on his crib and put him in there (it usually works). I usually play it by ear, day to day. But most of the time, if DS doesn't want to nap, there's no making him.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have our most successful nap days if he goes outside and burns some energy and gets some fresh air in the morning.  I try to get him out there for at least 30-60 minutes, even if it is kicking the ball around the yard and writing with his chalk. 

If he stays inside all morning, he is extemely hard to put down for a nap and will also be a big crabby cakes by 3 or 4.

• Options

After lunch get her to burn a lot of energy - inside or out.  Wear her out!  Then try to put her down later than normal.  Like maybe 2:30.  

If that doesn't work then start implementing "quiet time".  It can be a time in her room where she can read books, play, etc. But can't come out.   If this doesn't work (and in our house, it doesn't) maybe consider quiet time in front of a movie.  

Yup, there I said it, put your kid in front of the tv.  I make her a nest on the sofa or floor and she watches a movie.  At first she would sometimes fall asleep.  Now we've really given up naps and she doesn't sleep but she does stay quiet and it allows me to make phone calls, work on projects, etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"