Military Families

Might be going to Fort Eustis, VA

Is anyone there and do you like it? It's got four seasons? Not too far from Richmond? Decent town? Snow? Family friendly?

My husband is possibly reenlisting to be a medic and I guess that's where we would go for his training or what now? This will be his second reenlistment and we have been to Fort Bragg & Fort Hood (at least I have, he's been to a few more). I just would like to know a little about what the people there think of it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Might be going to Fort Eustis, VA

• We're not at Eustis but we are in the general area.  Eustis is closer to the Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Newport News, etc) area than it is to Richmond but really Richmond isn't too far either.  I think both areas (HR & Richmond) are great and offer a little bit different types of things.  Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia and the metro area makes it even bigger.  I think the biggest draw for here are the beaches but there's a lot more too.  Pretty much what any big city offers you can find here.  And I would say yes to your family friendly question.  Lots of parks, museums, aquarium, zoo, etc. 

Right now we're having fabulous weather.  It's in the 50s most days and we're expecting it back into the 70s later this week.  But snow is not unheard of here but relatively rare from what I understand.  I think the 70* weather is freakish for this time of year though.  

• imageArmyQM:

We're not at Eustis but we are in the general area.  Eustis is closer to the Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Newport News, etc) area than it is to Richmond but really Richmond isn't too far either.  I think both areas (HR & Richmond) are great and offer a little bit different types of things.  Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia and the metro area makes it even bigger.  I think the biggest draw for here are the beaches but there's a lot more too.  Pretty much what any big city offers you can find here.  And I would say yes to your family friendly question.  Lots of parks, museums, aquarium, zoo, etc. 

Right now we're having fabulous weather.  It's in the 50s most days and we're expecting it back into the 70s later this week.  But snow is not unheard of here but relatively rare from what I understand.  I think the 70* weather is freakish for this time of year though.  

If you do go to Eustis (though medic training is at Ft Sam, in texas *bleh*), Virginia Beach is definitely an awesome place!  It has some of the best schools in the state, education wise, and some of the highest standards east coast.  There are a dozen AWESOME concert halls (billy joel, DMB, blink 182, ziggy marley......all seen at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater).    The Marine Science Museum and Aquarium are amazing for kids, as is the Virginia Sports Hall of fame.  excellent sports leagues, I was very involved with Neighborhood Youth Soccer League for a long while.

Sentara Hospitals have the BEST NICU in the State, highest level, too.

The beach is amazing, hundreds of awesome events all year round.  You have Busch Gardens and Water Country USA just 30min-1hr away in historic Williamsburg (awesome educational place, as is Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement.....and Yorktown!)

Summers are a little humid, with highs in the 90s mostly, though 100s a bit.  Mosquitos love me, but sleeves or bugspray work.  Fall is crisp, and amazing, colors changing, you can smell fall in the air....winters, well I love winter, so I'm biased, but it can be a tiny bit windy, so a windproof jacket, hat, gloves and layers!  Random 60 degree days in the winter, but winter doesnt dip to the teens til Jan or Feb, at which point we usually see our first snow, if any (last winter, when I was in texas, they got 10", most we'd gotten in 18yrs I remember!....its usually no more than 3".....but a snowflake in the sky will shut down the city, lol)

Awesome public libraries, awesome museums and parks (Mt Trashmore is fun) and just an awesome place to live!  There are farms, downtown, beaches, forests, mountains (westward), and just about everything you could need.

We haven't had any major hurricanes in about 7 years (florida doesnt like to share), but the storm prep/evac plans are tested regularly, just in case!

If  there is anything I didnt cover, dont hesitate to ask..

Oh, and its a HUGE military friendly community (Naval Station Norfolk, Little Creek, Dam Neck, Langley, Eustis, Monroe, Story, Camp Allen, etc!)

• Loading the player...
  • We live in Virginia Beach.  Love the area... HATE the traffic. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedannafofanna:
    We live in Virginia Beach.  Love the area... HATE the traffic. 

Try Hawai'is traffic......It makes Hampton Roads rush hour feel like nothing!  The only time traffic is flowing well is on the 2am drive back from the bar

• Lurker chiming in...

I used to live 2 miles from Eustis and am a military wife (not a parent yet though), so maybe I can help you out some.

To answer your questions:

Is anyone there and do you like it? H wasn't stationed AT Eustis (he's Navy), but we were really nearby and I'm very familiar with the installation as I worked there some as a civilian contractor.  Its probably par for the course in terms of niceness.

It's got four seasons? Yes.  Winters are mild (teeters around freezing, will snow some but doesn't stick long).  Spring and Fall are wonderful, albeit a little short for my taste.  Summer is a killer there.  Hot, humid and long (Memorial-Labor Days).

Not too far from Richmond? Eustis is <1 hr from Richmond.  Its about the same, in the other direction, from VA Beach and Norfolk.  Its probably 15 minutes from Williamsburg though, which is home of Busch Gardens, Great Wolf Lodge, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown & Yorktown. 

Decent town? The post itself is fine.  The area of Newport News its in is kinda shady, but if you go a few miles out things are fine.  If you're living off post don't bother looking at things on the other side of the water (VA Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth) as the commute through the tunnels will kill you.  Look in Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Williamsburg & Poquoson instead.

Snow? It will a little, most likely in Jan/Feb.  Usually melts within hours, couple days at most.  Be warned: If it snows STAY HOME!  Nobody there knows how to drive in it and the roads will be a mess.

Family friendly? Overall the area is fine.  Kids would like Busch, Great Wolf, VA Beach...and I think there is a Zoo in Norfolk.

Page me on the Military Nesties board if you have more questions!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I live in VA Beach too, DH is stationed in Norfolk.  I personally wouldn't live in Newport News which is where Fort Eustis is located.  However, just a few miles away at the other end of Fort Eustis Blvd is York County and it is a different world.  NN has a fair amount of gang activity.  York County is more small town.  I used to work for a foster care agency in the area so I have been all over Newport News, York County, Poquoson, and Hampton.  If I was going to live on that side of the water I would pick York County or Williamsburg to live in.

As for weather one PP mentioned staying home if there is snow.  She is so right, they can't handle it here (I'm from PA). A snowfall of three inches will get school canceled for a week.   I have pics of my yard with just patches of snow left and school was still out.

Richmond is about an hour from NN but I personally have only ever gone there for work reasons.  

There is lots of touristy stuff to do with your kids (yes, there is a zoo in Norfolk) but depending on where you live you might not want to let them outside alone.  

I spend more time on Military Nesties if you have more questions. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"