Military Families

Ft. Meade/Maryland?

DH is considering a job at Ft. Meade. I'm just checking out the surrounding areas to determine if we'd want to live there. DD and DS would end up going to school there too so any advice you have on surrounding cities not too far that have good schools would be great.

Re: Ft. Meade/Maryland?

• MD is awesome Wink  Severna Park is nice, Columbia is nice - which is a planned community if that is your style, it's not mine, but I know a lot of people like that.  Catonsville and Ellicott City are OK too, there is also the city - Fells Point, Canton.   There is really something for everyone depending on what you like.  Schools are not great in all areas, like the city, but there are some great private schools. 
  • Montgomery County is your best bet for schools, but your husband's commute will be quite long. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Montgomery County is best for school, followed closely by Howard County. Right around the post (and on post) is pretty run down with schools that see a lot of poverty (the schools on post are public...not DOD). I'd suggest living 30 minutes out or so in Columbia or Ellicot City...or even in Annapolis if you don't mind the commute.

Cost of living is high. There isn't a lot of green space (though there are a few nice parks -- like Centennial Park in Columbia). 

We were there before PCSing (but we are Civilian). 

imageimage
  • If you don't mind a HCOL Annapolis is a wonderful place to live. We just moved from there and I miss it terribly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am AD Navy and lived on Ft. Meade for 6 months during A-school.  I LOVED the area!  If DH and I could get orders there we would jump on them!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"