Attachment Parenting
Options

Daycare Mommies Enter :)

I need some advice for transitioning DS into parttime DC. He will be going one or two afternoons a week, from 3-6.

We chose to put him in part time because I'm working part time and going to school- my mom watches him now monday through thursday and the two days I have school she has him from 10am-6pm. I know even without her saying it, that he's wearing her out a little. He's a wonderful but very energetic little boy and my parents are in their 60's. On top of that, I'm now expecting baby #2 and I know it'd be nice to have DS in daycare part time while my mom watches the new baby, once I go back to work. I also like the idea of letting him be socialized with other kids and I think he'll enjoy it when he gets used to it.

My dilemma is, I'm freaking out that he will freak out. I plan on going with him tomorrow to play for about an hour and let him get used to it and then we'll go back home and I'll bring him back Thursday for his first day. My parents live 5 minutes away from the DC if there are any problems. Does anyone have any tips for making this easier for him? I just have this image in my head of me walking out the door and him bawling and crying for me

:( My heart is breaking already and I don't know if it's really going to be that hard or if I am just imagining the worst. I don't want him to think I'm leaving him with a bunch of strangers or that his mommy is gone. He's NEVER been cared for by anyone but his grandparents, aunts and of course me and DH. I plan on bringing his blanket and stuffed toy to help make it easier but other than that I'm not sure what else to do???

Any advice is appreciated!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
~DD Born! 2013~
~DD due! 2015~

Re: Daycare Mommies Enter :)

• Options

Hi there,

I stumbled upon this thread by chance - I'm not a DC parent, however I was an early ed teacher for 11 years. I've worked with all ages in a variety of settings (small town DC to corporate to alterna/co-op) - what kind of school will you be taking your son to? How they handle things tend to be different.

My biggest piece of advice is that it's almost certainly going to be harder on you than on him. He will be upset either as you're leaving or just after you're gone, but teachers are well prepared on how to handle it. When you're ready to leave, tell him that you'll be leaving in a few minutes and start a routine of reading a book before you go, singing a song, whatever...then when the time comes hug and kiss him, then -leave-. Don't let your heartstrings be pulled to stay for just one more/stand at the door where you're visible and peer in/or keep returning to the room. They will learn what works and use it in the future so stay strong! The faster you establish a routine the easier it will be on everyone :) Remember the saying about the band-aid!

Trust your teachers (also, make an effort to get to know them a little - it amazed me how little most parents would talk to us, yet they'd drop their precious little ones in our hands every day). Bring a hot chocolate at the end of the first week and say thanks for your patience and kindness. Thoughtfulness is few and far between and much appreciated.

Make a phone call an hour or two after drop off to check in - centers are happy to help you and you can talk to the teachers. I'd suggest not asking to speak to your little one on the phone though - that will just upset him all over.

Oh, blanket and stuffie are great - if you have one of those small photo albums they make for children to handle that's great, too! We'd look through those with the child and talk about the people in his/her life and how they loved him and would be back later. There is a certain age (not sure what month your son is) where they have different anxieties and worry about nobody returning for them. If you tell the teachers just when you'll be back then they have something to tell him. Over time of you coming at said time he won't feel anxious anymore.

Routine and boundaries are so important in making children feel safe in DC.

Hope that helps!

• Options

Thanks for the advice! Very detailed :) I worked as a DC  teacher for 3 years so a lot of that makes sense- I've just never been in these shoes before!

I met his teacher one time and she seemed nice and very competent. The daycare is in a small school next to a church. It used to be a school and was converted a couple years ago. There's a large gym and a playground and it's just a regular old daycare from what I can tell :) We took a tour and it seemed fine. I just know I had kids when I was a dc teacher who cried and had a really hard time adjusting. Eventually they all did and did great- but it was hard for some of them for awhile. I agree though with no going back and forth and just leaving when I say I'm going to leave. I know it makes it harder all around not to do so.

Thanks, I will defnitely do some of the things you mentioned!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Taking him in tomorrow to meet his teachers and become familiar with his surroundings is a good idea. 

The best thing you can do is have a great attitude about it--kids are so sensitive and can often detect when their parents are nervous or upset. I know it's hard (I've been there!) but he will be fine at daycare. The more relaxed and comfortable you are, the better he will do. And while his care givers will never know your child better than you do, they do take care of children for a living so you might want to ask them for some guidance on making things go smoothly. It's important to have open lines of communication and trust with them.

Kids are so adaptable! He won't think you're abandoning him because his daycare teachers will be there for him to hug him and soothe him and make him feel loved.

My son LOVES daycare...his teachers are super nice people and they take great care of him.

• Options
    You're welcome! Awesome that you were a teacher, too. That will help ease your mind :) I felt so terrible for the ones who took a longer time to adjust...it was good if you could talk to the parents about it and get their help brainstorming. I'm sure your teachers will feel more comfortable talking to you knowing you've been there before! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"