Natural Birth
Options

How necessary are classes?

I know the answer is probably going to be very necessary... but has anyone attempted a natural birth by just winging it? 1st pregnancy especially?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How necessary are classes?

• Options

I was planning on winging it.  I had read a bunch of books and thought that my body would just know what to do.  Then I switched to my MW late in pregnancy and she said that I would have less of a chance at succeeding non-medicated without classes and offered for me to sign up last minute for their 2 day classes.  I seriously don't think I would have made it without those classes.  They gave me the tools to deal with my pain and know what my body was doing while it was doing it.  I think they are extremely necessary.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i think that classes are very helpful!  while i didn't necessarily use the "method" taught in the bradley classes i took, i did benefit very much from all of the information.  i went into the birthing experience with a much more realistic expectation of what would happen.  and having planned for a homebirth, i felt prepared for how to handle unusual situations (e.g., what to do if the cord prolapsed), which gave me confidence.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm still torn about my class, my MW highly recommended their 5 week class but failed to tell me that they filled up fast and I got stuck with the 3 hour crash course. Although I appreciated having the class being quick because I felt like I had already researched and talked with my MW about the questions/concerns I did have I also wonder what was in that 5 week course. I am glad I took a class that was focused on natural birth though and can at least say I did it.

I have asked many moms about the classes and they all have pretty much said the same thing: that it was nice to take it but they won't take it for their second pregnancy.

• Options
    I just gave birth to my first baby naturally and didn't take any classes. That being said, I did a ton of reading, watched videos and hired a doula. My husband also did a fair amount of reading. I felt well prepared and didn't feel like I missed out by not taking classes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I didn't have time to take a class.  DH and I watched a DVD version of a childbirth class that emphasized natural methods and had some ideas for comfort measures.  I also read the books that my sister and my friend got in their childbirth classes.  I don't think a class is necessary if you educate  yourself about what happens in labor and have some resources for comfort measures.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

I had a LONG somewhat complicated 1st labor, and I wouldn't have made it without the epidural as long as I did without classes, given the situation.

We did the 12 week Bradley, and there were probably 8 weeks I could have lived without because of how much I knew from reading, etc.  They were VITAL for DH, though, because he was the one who had to make a lot of decisions when I was in pain and of course had not read everything, watched every video, etc the way I had.

I even used the relaxation/pain relief techniques 3 years later when in awful post-op pain from surgery and found them incredibly effective then waiting for painkillers to kick in. 

I think arming yourself with as many resources as you can is the best course of action.

• Options

If you feel confident winging it then sure. My birth class really uped my confidence and I learned a lot. I'd highly suggest taking one.

I think you either need to take a birth class or hire a doula. IMO. :) GL

• Options

What kind of class? I think that for most people a sort of general prenatal class is a good idea, through a hospital, birth centre, etc. Before having DS, DH and I attended a weekend prenatal workshop taught by a doula, so it definitely had more focus on 'natural' birth, though what she taught would be applicable to anyone. 

If you mean like a 'method' class (Bradley, Hypnobirthing, etc), then I'm not convinced it's super necessary. Helpful, no doubt; necessary, probably not.

I have had 2 natural births (one was 30 hours long!) without using any method. And to be honest, the way I was when I was in labor, Im not sure I could have stuck with a method/remembered to use it; it was pretty much just surviving at that point!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageschoolsoutbride:

I had a LONG somewhat complicated 1st labor, and I wouldn't have made it without the epidural as long as I did without classes, given the situation.

We did the 12 week Bradley, and there were probably 8 weeks I could have lived without because of how much I knew from reading, etc.  They were VITAL for DH, though, because he was the one who had to make a lot of decisions when I was in pain and of course had not read everything, watched every video, etc the way I had.

I even used the relaxation/pain relief techniques 3 years later when in awful post-op pain from surgery and found them incredibly effective then waiting for painkillers to kick in. 

I think arming yourself with as many resources as you can is the best course of action.

THIS 100 percent also! There is no way I could have taught DH half the stuff he's learned from our class. He's still struggling to understand exactly the difference between a cervix and uterus. 

Honey, it's not that hard. 

• Options

Yes.  My plan was to go with the flow.  My mom gave me 2 great pieces of advice.  1.  You can't tense up if you are exhaling.  2.  You can't fight the contraction, so just go with it.

I concentrated on my breathing during labour.  I promised myself I wouldn't have to say '20', which meant as the contractions got longer and more intense, I had to slow my breathing down to only take 20 long breaths during them.  My focus was the number I was saying in my head and, of course, the breathing itself.

Most of the women in my family have had their kids without pain meds and without classes.  You can too.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    We didn't take classes. My MW spent at least one hour with me and my husband for each of our appointment, we read good books to prepare us, to went to prenatal yoga. We felt very well prepared and my homebirth went wonderfully! If I were going to a hospital, I think I might would have wanted classes so that I'd be aware of all the possible interventions and would definitely need more relaxation techniques (for me, hospital is not a place of comfort).
  • Options

I took a general child birth class with DH and they went over breathing techniques. I didn't really remember any of them when labor came around.

I also read Hypnobirthing and practiced breathing techniques in that book.

But we decided to spend our money on a doula and not the classes. I kind of wish I had taken a class, but it worked out in the end. The doula helped me through and I just labored at home for as long as possible to resist the temptation for an epi. My baby boy was born after 10 hours of labor without any meds.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options
    It's possible, but I think it's much harder.  I honestly don't think I could have done it without the classes and the practicing I did at home.  
  • Options
    Hi i didn't take any classes with the first one and it went fine...your body knows what to do. I didnt use any painkillers and ended up needing some pitocin and it still went fine. That was my experience,everyone is different though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think it's necessary but I'm sure it's helpful.  We just took the general hospital class, no special classes geared towards med-free deliveries.  But I read a lot of books about natural childbirth so I wouldn't say I just winged it.  I just didn't do any special method like Bradley, Hypnobabies, etc.  We didn't have a doula either.

ETA: I agree with PPs about a class being especially good for DH.  I would at least take the general hospital class for your first baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options

imageemberlee3:
    I didn't have time to take a class.  DH and I watched a DVD version of a childbirth class that emphasized natural methods and had some ideas for comfort measures.  I also read the books that my sister and my friend got in their childbirth classes.  I don't think a class is necessary if you educate  yourself about what happens in labor and have some resources for comfort measures.

All of this! And do read Hypnobirthing! It is good to take classes but I forgot almost all I was taught. Hypnobirthing book really helped me and had a great doula also.

• Options

I agree with PP, helpful but not necessary.  I took a general childbirth class, no special method.  And while it was useful, it was also overkill.   My childbirth class was 7 weeks long, my baby care class was 1 week - I wish it was the reverse of that!

I also bought a few books on natural childbirth, bradley, and hypnobirthing - but to be honest, I didn't end up using this information at all and I had a completely med-free birth. 

My doula was way more useful than any of the other preparation because she was there in real-time answering questions.

• Options
    My grandma, aunt, and mom all did it without any classes. My MIL did it with pitocin and no classes. It is for sure possible, but I'm very happy I did Hypnobabies!
  • Options
    I read a few books and that was it and I had an AMAZING natural birth experience!  
    Eliza 
    Married to a pharmacist
    Mother of two boys, three girls, and one more little boy on the way!
    Two time miscarriage survivor.
    So happy to be expecting our sixth child in August 2017!

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You don't need to do classes, but you do need to do SOMETHING. Research, research, research, and prepare your mind/body with yoga or some other form of meditative practice. Women who say they're going to "try to go natural" with no plan don't succeed at it nearly as often as those who prepare. We did Bradley, but to be honest, I didn't use it in labor--I was induced, baby was posterior, and labor moved too fast for me to ever fully relax. But what we learned in the Bradley classes helped us know what was happening, and that made it easier to have faith in the process and to know what my body was doing. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"