LGBT Parenting
Options

FAQs - #8 - How much does it cost?

#8 - My insurance isn't going to cover our IUIs.  How much will each cycle cost?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FAQs - #8 - How much does it cost?

• Options

Ours were $2, 243, not including sperm, each cycle (so closer to $3k). This was for 2 IUIs. This includes the monitoring, meds (in my case, Clomid/Premarin), and a hcg shot.  This was with an RE, and we only did one cycle with him at that price. 

Our first 3 were done at a sperm bank and while they were cheaper ($2k, per cycle incl. sperm and 2 IUIs), it was a huge waste of money because they had no idea what they were doing! What a world of difference it was using an RE that monitored me closely.  Worth every penny! 

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

It really depends on what you do...we've been really lucky with our insurance coverage and (sperm aside, which is ~$500/mo) we've spent around $2k OOP this year, with over $30k billed to our insurance (they, of course, pay about 30% on their adjusted rates). This includes 9 cycles of monitoring at the RE, 3 IUIs, 1 D&C and 1 hyterscope (spelling that wrong, but it is an h word that isn't an HSG).  We've also been lucky with our drug coverage so far (triggers are $109, but everything else has been covered - $4 for clomid, and $75/cycle for injectibles (that will run out when we hit the $10k lifetime cap soon though).

Anyway, that's a lot of words for "it depends"... 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

our sperm was $640 for IUI ready sperm + tank prep fee

our IUI (unmedicated through a midwife) was $200

• Options

Initial RE consultation:  $405

Donor Sperm: $530

Ultrasound: $300 

IUI: $273

Meds: $80

Total = $1,588 average cost per attempt (one IUI). We ended up needing 2 ultrasounds, so that was an additional $300.  

DW & I (yes, we're lesbians!) are using anonymous donor sperm and IUI TTC#1! Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma at age 16 2009: Extensive testing to find reason for irregular periods & rule out uterine cancer 10/2010: Dx possible PCOS / No Ovulation / Retroverted Uterus IUI #1 on 11/10/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFN IUI #2 on 12/15/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFP!!! Beta #1 = 75 (12dpiui) Beta #2 = 158 (14dpiui) Beta #3 = 333 (15dpiui) Beta #4 = 2,517 (19dpiui) First OB appointment and u/s 1/25/10 EDD: 9/7/11 BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"