Georgia Babies

RSV Recovery - What to expect?

Isaac was hospitalized with RSV pneumonia this weekend.  His sats dropped to near 80 and he was taken to the hospital via ambulance from the dr's office.

He recovered swiftly from the breathing difficulty and was weaned totally off oxygen within 36 hours and we brought him home yesterday.  

His doctor has stepped up his breathing treatments to Xenopex rather than Albuterol for 24 hrs.  He does better and is less wired on this medication but apparently it is really expensive.  I am thinking of insisting on this medication from now on regardless.

The dr pretty much said he won't get all the way better until Summer.  Is this true?  I haven't had a decent night's sleep in months and it just seems to get worse and worse.  There is no such thing as an Isaac nap in this house whatsoever.  I don't know if I have 4-6 months of sleep deprivation in me.

In conclusion this RSV experience has been so incredibly difficult don't expect any BFP announcements from me pretty much EVER.

Re: RSV Recovery - What to expect?

• It is unfortunately true that he won't get all the way better until summer. After we got home with Jackson he was on the neb 6-8 times a day for 8 weeks. Then 2-3 times a day for 6 weeks and honestly on demand after that until summer if he even coughed or wheezed funny. It's no fun but, you and they get used to it. We did xenopex but, only when his breathing got really bad. The albuteral and steroids did the trick the rest of the time.

The sleeping with an RSV baby is tough! Honestly, Jackson's breathing was so shallow at night we brought his pack and play in the room and let him sleep there and then eventually moved him in the bed with us. It was worth the sleep to us. Not that I am suggesting that to you but, it is nerve racking. Good Luck. Hang in there it does get better it just takes time.

• I don't have any advice for you since Owen had a mild case of RSV. He did recover pretty quickly and we didn't have to continue breathing treatments. Just wanted to send big HUGS to you Mama! Owen was not a good sleeper no matter what for about 10 months. It was hard and I was probably a crazy lady but it got better. I hope it will for you soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedecaturbride:
    I don't have any advice for you since Owen had a mild case of RSV. He did recover pretty quickly and we didn't have to continue breathing treatments.

Same for us, ds wasn't hospitalized but did have to do breathing treatments for maybe 2 weeks? I guess he had a mild case because he was better in about a month. Good luck, I know how hard it is!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry about Isaac! Abigail also had a mild case when she was 6 weeks old. She had to be on breathing treatments like 6 times a day and she was better in about 2 weeks. She got another mild case when she was about 7 months old (if I remember correctly). Breathing treatments again for about a week. She still has breathing problems, but nothing severe. I hope Isaac feels better soon! I know it can be heartbreaking and scary!
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ethan had RSV pneumonia when he was 9 months old.  Thank God he wasn't hospitalized, but he came awfully close.  He was on breathing treatments for a while and unfortunately we had to take him to the hospital 3 times for breathing issues over the next year.  He was eventually diagnosed with asthma.  A lot of times when he gets a cold, it leads to breathing treatments.  I am happy to say, though, that he is much better now and the doctors believe that he will outgrow all of this.  I'm sorry that poor little Isaac has gone through all of this.  I know it's tough on all of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"