TTC after 35
Options

Help!

Good morning,

My husband and I are just beginning the journey of trying to conceive. My question to the group (it is kind of embarrassing...) is the following: how do you figure out how long your cycle is and then how do you know when to try to get pregnant? I've heard from others that you count from day one of your last period to day one of your next period. Is that true? Then, how do you figure out the best time to try to get pregnant?

Any advice would be welcome.

Have a great day:-)?

Re: Help!

• Options

Welcome to the group! The best thing to do is chart your cycle by taking your basal temperature(get at Target, CVS etc, it take your temp to the hundredth degree versus a fever thermometer) and charting it.  Also using ovulation predictor tests.  Charting will tell you when and if you ovulated but only AFTER. The OPK will tell you when you are about to O so you have a clue beforehand that you should have sex.  I aim for sex every day a few days before O and until the day after O.  The trick is learning when in your cycle you O and it can take a few cycles to figure that out.  A lot of us use fertility friend to chart and it has tutorials to help you out.  click on my chart and you can sign up.  Did you just stop birth control?  Your cycles can be wonky for a while coming off it.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

Thank you so much for your response. I've been off birth control since last spring but we have only started to try these past 2 months. Seeing as I didn't really have that much of a clue of how to go about this process, it is no wonder, we haven't had that much luck. We are also older in age: I'm 41 and he is 51 so..we have that working against us too.?

My cycle is pretty regular right now so I'm hopeful once I start charting my cycle and taking the ovulation predictor tests, that will assist in the process.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it a great deal.

?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would think your body would have regulated since spring being off BC so that's good news. As for your age, you are not alone!   There are lot of ladies 40 and above here as well.  Another trick to the ovulation predictors-- I take a few a day when I think it should be O time.  I think I have a short LH surge so if I only did it once a day, I might miss the surge. Afternoon works best for me to test (neg in morning and it can be pos in afternoon).   The apparent rule of thumb is to try for 6 months and then see a reproductive endocronogolist for testing. I have an appt in early January if I have no luck this next cycle...

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

definitely jump on fertilityfriend.com

I found it really helpful when I was first getting started...although I try not to obsess about it like I used to.  Good luck!

About me: A pixie in the city, 41, TTC #1 since May 2010, married 18 years. Diagnosed with, surgically removed, endometrioma Aug.2010 Sept 2010 IUI #1=BFN, Oct=cyst/bfn, Nov 2010 IUI #2 = bfn. Had to postpone IUI #3 b/c of a cyst natural=BFN. Skipped IUI #3, decided to go for IVF. Found/removed uterine polyps Jan 2011. IVF cancelled, no follicles. IVF #2: 3 great embies put in on Easter Sunday = BFN. Hoping for another chance at IVF in July. TTC is NOT for wimps. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2fab90/ttc.png
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"