North Carolina Babies
Options

Anyone have a good sugar cookie recipe?

I need (want) a recipe for good, soft, sugar cookies. All the ones I've ever made have come out hard. Maybe it's the pan I use (or my lack of skills? LOL) I'm not an expert baker (obviously), so it needs to be easy. I want it to be the kind you roll out, and cut with cookie cutters, not dough that you spoon out. Have any good recipes, and/or bakeware recs?

I'd like to make cookies with Holly this year, and want to make sugar & gingerbread ones. TIA!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Anyone have a good sugar cookie recipe?

• Options

I haven't actually tried it, but the reviews from people said these were soft and chewy....Plus, how can Alton Brown be wrong about making sugar cookies?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe/index.html

• Options

To solve the "hard" problem, try taking them out of the oven before they're done, letting them continue cooking for two minues on the hot pan, then moving them to racks to cool completely. I hate hard cookies in general, so I always do this when I make any cookie and it works like a charm to keep them soft.

(But, if you've tried that and still aren't getting soft cookies, I'm out of suggestions!  Smile  )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have one that I got from MereD last year.  I'll post it tonight since it's on my gmail acct and I can't access it from work.  It was super easy and the cookies were yummy! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Sugar Cookies
     Ingredients

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    2 cups white sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Directions-
    In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
    Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
    Sugar Cookie Icing
    (this stuff is so easy to work with when your'e decorating sugar cookies)
    Ingredients

1 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 teaspoons milk
    2 teaspoons light corn syrup
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    assorted food coloring
    In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
    Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.
    This is the recipe I use loosely, I always have to add more milk and corn syrup to get the icing to the right consistency.  Just eyeball it, it shouldn't be so runny that it drips off the sides of the cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks y'all!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"