Health & Exercise
Options

Milk and pregnancy

A friend of mine recently told me that drinking a lot of milk, or eating a lot of dairy products, while pregnant can have quite staggering results.  She said that drinking more than a glass of milk a day or having multiple servings of dairy products will cause the baby to be BIG due to growth hormones in the milk and that it also makes you more likely to have gestational diabetes.  This is the first I've heard of it, and I haven't been able to verify any of that information anywhere yet.  None of the pregnancy books or websites I have read say anything about that.  Does anyone know if either of these statements are backed, medically-speaking?  I'm a big dairy person (I love milk and ice cream, and those are two of the things I crave the most during this pregnancy), so I just want to know if I need to be cutting myself off from giving in to those cravings or not.

Re: Milk and pregnancy

• Options

Well the growth hormone given to many cows, bovine growth hormone, causes cows to mature faster and produce more milk. It doesn't cause them to grow bigger so I don't see how it could cause your baby to be big.

That said, I prefer to choose milk and cheese that is labeled as not containing bGH.

• Options

It's a theory but not a fact. Personally, I'm creeped out by growth hormones and added antibiotics and don't think they are good for us in general so I buy my milk products and most of my beef organic.

Easy (but not cheap) solution. Grass-fed is even better for you!

Of course, I also try to buy the "dirty dozen" of produce (google it if interested) organic and wash my fruits and veggies carefully because there are actual studies indicating that pesticide exposure during pregnancy can lead to increased attention issues in young children.

Oh, and watch out for BPA in plastic containers and canned goods. BPA is estrogenic, meaning it mimics the effects of estrogen in your body. This could potentially contribute to weight issues.

Or, forget about all of this. Those are my pregnancy goals, but not everyone's.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageIncogNeato:

It's a theory but not a fact. Personally, I'm creeped out by growth hormones and added antibiotics and don't think they are good for us in general so I buy my milk products and most of my beef organic.

Easy (but not cheap) solution. Grass-fed is even better for you!

Of course, I also try to buy the "dirty dozen" of produce (google it if interested) organic and wash my fruits and veggies carefully because there are actual studies indicating that pesticide exposure during pregnancy can lead to increased attention issues in young children.

Oh, and watch out for BPA in plastic containers and canned goods. BPA is estrogenic, meaning it mimics the effects of estrogen in your body. This could potentially contribute to weight issues.

Or, forget about all of this. Those are my pregnancy goals, but not everyone's.

Oh dang. Thanks for all of that info I guess I never really gave BPA or pesticides much thought (other than obviously they're not great for you).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Milk was something I craved during pregnancy...drinking two gallons a week. Even though it was skim, it caused me to gain a good amount of weight. It's good, but in moderation only.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I drink 2%, and I've slowed down, but for a couple of weeks, I was to the point of having 3 glasses of milk every night before bed.  I'm normally lactose intollerant, so I have to watch my milk intake, but the sickness symptoms went away when I got pregnant, so the doctor said to enjoy it while I could have it!  But I don't want to have so much that I wind up having diabetes or a gigantic baby. Big Smile
  • Options
    I drink a lot more milk now than I did pre-pregnancy...and so far LO is measuring at only 5lbs. We're expecting to have her between 6-7lbs when she's born....so that's definitely not a cow of a baby. ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Interesting....

I had a lot of milk/yogurt/ice cream when I was pregnant (I CRAVED it).  I would say 4-5 servings of dairy a day.  I gained 50 pounds while pregnant, but lost all but 3lbs of it by 11 weeks (I had a LOT of swelling, lost most of it in the first 3-4 weeks).  My baby was pretty big- 9lb4oz, 21.5".  He was 14lb14oz and 25.75" at 10 weeks (and he is now in 6-9month clothes). On the other hand, my family tends to grow big babies (my little sister was 9lb11oz), and my husband and I are both really tall.  Who knows?

• Options
    My family only does organic milk. The idea of all of the growth hormones is disturbing, so why take the risk. It might be a little more expensive, but in my experience it stays fresh longer and tastes better.
  • Options
    I drank A LOT of milk and ATE a LOT of dairy... My son was 7lbs when born... I think it has nothing to do with it. And a LOT of women CRAVE dairy when pregnant. So don't feel bad. Just make sure you're getting everything else you need too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I drank LOTS of milk during pregnancy. I gained like 30 lbs, measure small, and my daughter was born 3 weeks early weighing a little over 5 lbs. I love dairy, and i never heard of that theory. I craved it even more while pregnant.

I wouldn't let that stop you from drinking milk or eating dairy, personally. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I read Skinny *** Bun in the Oven, and they are pretty extreme in their organic/vegan views.  Most of it was a bit too much, but the milk part really stuck with me for some reason. 

They listed all the reasons to avoid milk, and after that, it repulsed me.  I didn't drink a drop the rest of my pregnancy, and I still don't drink it now.  It just grosses me out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"