North Carolina Babies
Options

Rice cereal question

We started DD on rice cereal this weekend. Our plan has been to make as much of her food as possible just to save money, but we've found that once you refrigerate the homemade rice cereal, it gets really lumpy and sticky. So, I'm heading to Target after work to buy her some.   Smile  Is there a better brand to buy? I assume that generic will work just as well as brand name, but please let me know if I'm wrong.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rice cereal question

• Options
    I think they are all the same, we usually bought the Earth's Best brand. Caleb still eats the Earth's Best Baby oatmeal w/ bananas mixed in his yogurt!
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options

Aww--too bad that didn't work out! That makes sense though, as rice is pretty sticky! I'm sure you won't have trouble with making her other foods though.

I don't recall there being a store brand of cereal. Maybe there was, but if I recall, there was really just Gerber, Beech Nut, and organic brands like Nature's Best (I think that was it). I also can't remember if there was brown rice cereal (I know you mentioned making your own with brown rice). But, it's more a "practice" food than a source of nutrition at this point anyway. You might also find that she prefers the oatmeal to the rice (Holly did, anyway)

GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i think it's all pretty sticky. i never found a store brand, but i liked the gerber one w/dha that came in a can the best.  i found it to be the least lumpy.  after that i liked the beech nut one that comes in a carton w/a screw on cap. 
  • Options
    imageMrsHughesNC:

I don't recall there being a store brand of cereal. Maybe there was, but if I recall, there was really just Gerber, Beech Nut, and organic brands like Nature's Best (I think that was it). I also can't remember if there was brown rice cereal (I know you mentioned making your own with brown rice). But, it's more a "practice" food than a source of nutrition at this point anyway. You might also find that she prefers the oatmeal to the rice (Holly did, anyway)

GL!

This. And Wesley hated rice cereal after the first week of eating it. He LOVES his oatmeal though. :)

• Options

We are making DS's food too, but I just bought Earth's Best Organic Rice to start.  We started last week and he likes it just ok even with BM mixed in.  I made butternut squash yesterday and gave it to him last night and he definitely enjoyed it more than the rice.  From now on I think I will use the rice cereal to thicken purees and mix it with something else.

• Options
    Thanks, everyone. I bough some Earth's Best this afternoon and hope she'll take to it a little better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"