Natural Birth

XP: Advice for long labor and avoiding pit?

I have been in "early labor" since last Sunday. Contractions get close together (2-4 minutes) for a few hours at a time, pick up in intensity, and then space back out. I went to the hospital Tuesday morning (2cm, 80% effaced) and got sent home. At my doc appt on Wed I was 3cm and 100%. They said I should be going into active labor anytime. I'm still here. Last night the contractions got more intense than they have been before and were 4 min apart for 2 hours. I decided to take a shower and then go to the hospital if they kept up. They didn't stop, but they did space back out to 12 min, so I went to bed instead. I had them throughout the night about 12-15 min apart.

I called the hospital today and they said that if they get closer than 5 min for an hour again to come in, regardless of whether I can walk/talk through them or not.

My LO is measuring large (8lbs4oz at the 38 wk u/s) and I know the doc is getting nervous about letting me go too long. I'm going to be 40wks on Tuesday. I'm trying to go med-free and REALLY don't want pitocin. Do you think if I agree to AROM that my body will pick this up on its own or am I just asking for pit? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Re: XP: Advice for long labor and avoiding pit?

• Keep the faith, your baby is so close. Have you tried any natural induction methods? Maybe even something as simple as a nice brisk walk could get things going.

I am worried about going to long as well at 40w1d and I haven't even really felt one contraction, but with my HB they let you go to 41.5 before talking about going to the hospital and pit, so it's all relative.  

If you really don't want it just keep telling your doc that. If it gets to the point where the AROM is really suggested go that route first, I'm sure your body will get the hint ;)

• I've been walking and sitting on the birthing ball. I can definitely tell the contractions pick up when I'm doing that, but they just never get super painful. It's exhausting though. They've been waking me up multiple times a night since Sunday. I guess I'll  be used to not getting much sleep by the time she gets here, but I'm worried about having enough energy for labor!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a very helpful L&D nurse last time I was in, and she really enjoys natural deliveries. She said that it totally doesn't matter how close your contractions are, but how much discomfort you're feeling. She told me a great way to avoid an induction would be to wait to come to the hospital until my contractions are consistent, close together, AND I am unable to walk/talk through them. Keep walking around and your LO will be here before you know it! Good luck!
  • Walk walk walk! That is the best advice I can give you. I went to 41 weeks and nothing truly put me into labor other than my body just being ready.

As far as avoiding pit is to wait as long as you can before going into the hospital. I waited 6 hours and I never got pit because I was progressing well, but I still wish I had waited a little longer.

• is this your first baby?  it is normal to have this kind of labor pattern.  i would not recommend doing too much to bring it on.  i would also avoid AROM at this point.  let your body do it's thing. 

do you have a breast pump?  that might work well.  i reco 5 mins per nipple for 15-20 mins then rest for an hour or so and repeat as you can.  also make sure you are staying really hydrated and eat healthy foods. 

how are baby's movements?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTexas77again:

is this your first baby?  it is normal to have this kind of labor pattern.  i would not recommend doing too much to bring it on.  i would also avoid AROM at this point.  let your body do it's thing. 

do you have a breast pump?  that might work well.  i reco 5 mins per nipple for 15-20 mins then rest for an hour or so and repeat as you can.  also make sure you are staying really hydrated and eat healthy foods. 

how are baby's movements?

Yep, first baby. I don't have a breast pump yet. As for her movements, they're definitely tougher to feel--I think because she's so much lower than she was a week ago, but if they slow down too much I drink some juice and do some counts, and she always starts moving.

Intellectually I know you guys are right and that I should let my body work. This is just maddening. I guess as long as I can still sleep a decent amount, it'll be okay.

• I know you really want the baby out but try to get some sleep and rest. You're in early labor. I was stuck at 2-3cm for hours. I walked and walked and nothing changed. Oh and I was given Pitocin. Pitocin did not help.I decided to take a warm bath and sleep. The next day hours later it picked up after doing squats, dangles, and hip circles on a ball. 

• It's definitely possible that an AROM will get your labor moving.  It's completely up to you.  Your body sounds favorable.  Personally, I would wait but that's just my personal preference.  I think that any time one intervention is introduced, there is always the possibility of more to follow and I would prefer to avoid that risk. 

Anyway, an AROM did work for me to get my labor going (I was 41/6 so that was my induction poison of choice) and I was like 2 cm and 50% effaced at the time... not as progressed as you are now.  I did end up needing Pitocin later on during transition because my cervix was swelling.  I could handle it but it wasn't a walk in the park. 

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"