Indiana Babies

Speaking of traveling- need your tips flying with an infant.

Sorry, I know this is a commonly asked question but I never saved any of the posted tips.

We're flying to Florida with DD this coming weekend and I'm getting a bit nervous about the flight with a LO. DH will be with me on the flight down and back and the IL's and my mom will be with us on the way back....which I'm sure will be a huge help. 

Any traveling tips for flying with an 8 month old?

Re: Speaking of traveling- need your tips flying with an infant.

• We flew with Claire when she was 9 months, and she was perfect.  We couldn't believe how good she was.  First thing, don't forget a birth certificate or immunization records.  What airline are you using?  We flew southwest and since the flights weren't full (well 3/4 of them anyway), we were able to take her car seat on--which was super helpful.  I nursed her at take off and landings to help with her ears, but you can also give a bottle or snacks.  I also packed little toys she had never seen before so they were new and exciting for her.  I think the thing that helped the most though, were yogurt melts!  They seriously shut her up anytime she even thought about crying.  Also, take sanitation wipes and wipe down the seats, arm rests, trays, anything she'll come in contact with.  Planes are germy!
  • We flew with Rowan when he was 6 months. I think the best thing was to constantly have him nursing (or drinking from a bottle) during take off and landing. There was so much white noise on the flight that he slept the entire time. We even had a layover on the way there and back and he still slept through all flights. We didn't buy an extra seat for him, he just slept on my "breast friend" pillow. 

Oh and what's really nice is most airports have "family restrooms" that are really big, have changing tables, etc. I noticed many single people would use them (and they'd come out and it's smell pretty rotten afterwards...YUCK) so we had to wait in line it seemed at each one. But I liked having it because then DH could help me with the diaper changes and what not.  

• Loading the player...
  • She'll likely sleep the entire time.  Like PP said, just bring a pacifier or bottle for her to suck on during take-off and landing.  Olivia never had a problem with it though. 

I usually take a smaller bag within the bigger bag that I can throw under the seat with in-flight essentials, so I can keep the larger bag in the overhead and have more leg room.  

New toys/books are great, but I've found that Olivia mostly likes to people watch or play with the cards in the seat pocket.

I recommend gate checking your stroller and car seat, especially if you have a snap n' go.  Carting the convertible seat around is a bit of a pain, but really not that big of a deal if you have a 2nd set of hands.

Good luck!  It's really not that bad!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"