Baby Showers

Should I invite them?

All my family lives 7.5 hours away from us. My MIL does too, but she is having our baby shower here b/c the rest of their family is here. Obviously I'm inviting my mom, but I'm not sure about the rest of my family. (Cousins, Aunts, & Uncles) I doubt any of them would come. We invited them all to our wedding up here and no one came. So my question is do I invite them knowing that they won't come? I'm just worried that they would get offended if they were not given the option to chose. 
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I invite them?

• I absolutely would. I sent out invitations to friends from college who now live states away. They sent gifts eventhough they couldn't attend, which was very kind of them, but most of all I just wanted them to feel included.
  • I would invite them and let them decide if they can go or not.  Why risk hurt feelings?  Someone may surprise you and show; you never know.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • yes invite them.. even though they may not come people still send a gift.. 
  • As they didn't come to your wedding, I'm actually going to say "no".  I don't get the impression you're all that close to them.  I didn't invite distant family that are distant both physically and emotionally.  I don't see showers as "invite all" events.

And really, MOST mature, rational, people dont' get their feelings hurt over being invited to a shower they can't realistically go to and perhaps is for someone they don't know well.

Also - are yo uinvited to all of their events?  Are any of these cousins having babies and you aren't being invited to their showers?  If not, use that as another indicator of how close you are to them.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I am close with some of them. The problem only exists b/c I moved away back in January to DH's hometown. The 7.5 hour drive is very inconvient, even more so b/c some of them have small children. I've still been invited to their events back home. So thats why I wonder. And if I invite 1, I have to invite them all. They are all close and then i would hurt feelings if I just invited my 1 cousin and aunt that I'm closest with.
  • If you are close with them and they invite you to their showers then I would invite them.  7 1/2 hours is a long way in a car but we had people that drove 5 (several people matter of fact) so you never know.  They may carpool and come in a big van.  If you don't invite them at all I doubt they would get hurt feelings...I never have.  I just sent a gift when I got the baby announcement.
  • I think that since they are inviting you to events I would invite them.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • I had family far away and I invited them anyway so they didn't think i wasn't thinking of them and I got some gift cards from a few that didn't come because of the distance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I sent my cousin an email and asked her advice. She said I should invite all of them, even though they can't come. She said they would be offended if I didn't. So, that solves that. :) 
  • You really should. I agree, you would risk offending them is they were not invited. Plus, if you have guests RSVP, then you would know how many people to expect whether they come or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My family lives 8 hours away. I chose not to invite them because I knew they wouldnt be able to come and I didnt want to look like I was fishing for gifts. So my mom was the only one that I invited. No one had hurt feelings.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"