Success after IF

Had the scare of our lives today - still shaken up.

This is such a long story...  I'll try to abbreviate it somewhat.

Thursday night we noticed a couple of red marks on Cal that I immediately chalked up to the straps of his carseat pinching him.  But then we noticed another one on his belly, and one someplace else.  Next morning there was a really dark red one on his belly and it was a thick line, not a dot.  I happen to know that the one rash to really worry about is the kind that does not pass the "does it blanch with pressure" test.  This did not.  However, there seemed to be reasonable explanations for most of the marks (i.e. when DH's dad saw the dark red line on Cal's belly, he told us that when he had picked Cal up earlier his glasses in his pocket jabbed Cal in the belly.)

But Saturday morning there were a bunch of new marks and they looked like bad scratches.  Yet, nothing had scratched him.  It was clearly bleeding under the skin - no broken or raised skin, whatsoever.  Not a typical bruise, though...didn't turn black & blue.  Instead, the older ones faded to a light red.  He also had a mass of them under his arms. 

I knew this was petechiae (b/c he had had a rash last year that I'd looked up and that's how I learned about it), and I knew petechiae usually aren't good news.  Yet, otherwise, he was perfectly healthy (aside from getting over a cold), and behaving normally.  Lots of energy, eating well, etc.

Called his pedi on our way home yesterday and he said that since they didn't blanch w/ pressure he thought someone should take a look (but wasn't too concerned since Cal seemed to be perfectly healthy).  Their office is open for a few hours Sunday so he asked us to come in this morning.  We saw a NP and she agreed that he checked out/seemed perfectly healthy, but thought we should get a blood test to check his platelets.  Bleeding under the skin can indicate infection - worst case scenario:  Leukemia.  She did not say this - I learned this from Dr. Google.  She actually said she expected the results to be normal b/c he was so healthy otherwise. 

We had to wait 3 hours after the blood draw to get the results and those were the longest 3 hours of my life.  I have never been as scared and nervous as I have in the last 24 hours.

The results were all normal, except for one test:  his PTT (prothrombin time) was slightly elevated.  This tests how long it takes your blood to clot.  She consulted a hematologist and he said that 9/10 kids they see with petechiae have a viral cause.  He wasn't concerned, but suggested a retest in 2 weeks to see how the PTT looks.  If it's high, it could indicate a clotting disorder.  But the other stuff we were worried about is no longer on the radar.  Whew.

So, that was a relief but I won't feel completely at ease until the marks stop showing up.  We noticed new ones tonight.  It doesn't help that when I look at pics of petechiae online they don't look like what he has.  Everything I see shows tiny red or purple dots, usually all massed together.  He has them spread out and they are light orange to bright/dark red in color, and many of them look like scratches or scrapes.  The newest one is under his chin and looks like a big scrape.  Oh, I should also have said that most of them, but not all, seem to be where there are been pressure or irritation - like from the carseat strap, or his diaper or the button on his pants.

If any of you have ever experienced this, I'd love to hear about it.  Also, if you have, or know about, clotting disorders, I'd be interested to hear about those, although I know I am jumping the gun.  The one she mentioned begins with "V" - can't remember the name.

Hopefully it's viral and this will all be over soon.  I think I lost a few years of my life after this experience.  I also lost a number of pounds, so I suppose that is the silver lining.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

ETA;  Forgot to mention that he had an injury Friday that didn't heal in a typical way, which makes me wonder if it's related to the elevated PTT.  He bonked his head hard on the frame of a recliner.  It started out swelling and bruising, and there were 2 small places where the skin was broken.  But that night the entire area was a scrape.  It never bled but over the last 2 days turned bright red and scabbed over.  So weird.  I was expecting it to turn into a bump/bruise like his previous head bonks.

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Had the scare of our lives today - still shaken up.

• Wow, so scary.  I'm so glad it isn't the worse case and hope it is just viral. Hang in there!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First off, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.

I know how scary it is.  Ella had to have a full CBC a few months back because of a "Leukimia" scare.

She was rashing up everywhere (in weird places), had bruises on her inner thighs and spine and the worst- she hadn't been walking for a week and when she started to walk, it was all limping.

After scaring us half to death, the CBC came back fine, and the doctor THEN told us she thought it was viral from the HFM (hand foot mouth) that she had had a month before. 

From there, everything went away and she's perfectly normal.

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to freak out yet, if he seems healthy, he is more than likely ok!

Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow! Sounds scary- but so glad it's looking like it's just the clotting thing.  Please let us know what happens in a couple weeks.
  • Was it Von Willebrands? I have that and it impacts your platelet function and ability to clot timely.

We are dealing with something similar with Kate right now. She had similar marks and a one time fever. Her CBC came back out of whack (issues with platelets and her WBC) We are currently waiting on additional labs to come in. The hematologist and oncologist have determined that it is either a severe auto immune disorder or it is leukemia. We should know tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm glad Cal's results came back relatively normal and that he doesn't appear to be dealing with anything major.
  • imageChristakim:

First off, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.

I know how scary it is.  Ella had to have a full CBC a few months back because of a "Leukimia" scare.

She was rashing up everywhere (in weird places), had bruises on her inner thighs and spine and the worst- she hadn't been walking for a week and when she started to walk, it was all limping.

After scaring us half to death, the CBC came back fine, and the doctor THEN told us she thought it was viral from the HFM (hand foot mouth) that she had had a month before. 

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to freak out yet, if he seems healthy, he is more than likely ok!

Christa - I remember this, and was going to ask about it.  Cal had HFM 7 weeks ago, so maybe that's it.  What were Ella's rashes like?

LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• imageLCB34:
    Was it Von Willebrands? I have that and it impacts your platelet function and ability to clot timely.

We are dealing with something similar with Kate right now. She had similar marks and a one time fever. Her CBC came back out of whack (issues with platelets and her WBC) We are currently waiting on additional labs to come in. The hematologist and oncologist have determined that it is either a severe auto immune disorder or it is leukemia. We should know tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm glad Cal's results came back relatively normal and that he doesn't appear to be dealing with anything major.

Yes, Von Willebrands sounds right.

Oh my gosh,  I didn't know you were dealing with this, I am so sorry!!  It is absolutely nerve-wracking (and that word doesn't even begin to cover it) as a mother, I know.  I will keep you in my thoughts with high hopes that Kate's condition is the best-case scenario!

Life is beautiful!

• My husband and most of his family have Von Willebrands-a clotting disorder where the blood doestn clot that easily (similiar to hemopophilia but not as serious).  My boys havent' had any issues so far and they havne't even been tested for it yet , was told to wait until they were 2 which is soon....

Hope he is better!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSeaSoul:
    imageChristakim:

First off, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.

Christa - I remember this, and was going to ask about it.  Cal had HFM 7 weeks ago, so maybe that's it.  What were Ella's rashes like?

Her rash was on her stomach, face and upper back.  Her tummy was raised, red marks as if a belt had whipped her, her back was splotchy as was her face.  That sounds almost exactly the gap between Ella's HFM and CBC was taken, about 7 weeks!

• imageSeaSoul:

imageLCB34:
    Was it Von Willebrands? I have that and it impacts your platelet function and ability to clot timely.

Oh my gosh,  I didn't know you were dealing with this, I am so sorry!!  It is absolutely nerve-wracking (and that word doesn't even begin to cover it) as a mother, I know.  I will keep you in my thoughts with high hopes that Kate's condition is the best-case scenario!

I haven't mentioned it at all on the boards as I am pretty much in denial. But, I appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Von Willebrands has various levels and only the most severe type impacts an individual on any type of regular basis. All I have to do is get a synthetic clotting agent before surgery and a few bags of platelets. Pretty easy treatment.
  • imageLCB34:
    imageSeaSoul:

imageLCB34:

I haven't mentioned it at all on the boards as I am pretty much in denial. But, I appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Von Willebrands has various levels and only the most severe type impacts an individual on any type of regular basis. All I have to do is get a synthetic clotting agent before surgery and a few bags of platelets. Pretty easy treatment.

I understand the denial...  As for Von Willebrands - wouldn't we have seen other signs before now, like prolonged bleeding, etc.?

Did you bring Kate in b/c of the marks or b/c of the fever?  Cal had a 99-degree fever for 1 day last week, but so did his friend from daycare (actually, his was higher).  Then he got the cold about 4 days later, and the marks showed up 2-3 days after that.

Life is beautiful!

• Wow, that does sound scary.  I'm glad that it seems to be just viral and will pass soon hopefully.  

I actually went through something similar when DS was about two.  He had little reddish/brown dots in a cluster on his ear lobe.  Out ped wasn't available so I saw another one in the practice and she got all excited, which freaked me out, but we waited for a blood test and the conclusion was that it was viral.  That same rash (although it was really broken blood vessels under the skin, so probably not technically a rash) came back whenever he got sick until maybe close to a year later (maybe 5 times total), but it hasn't shown up again in well over a year.  I'm thinking it probably is finally gone now.  

Oddly, DD has started getting a weird rash in her diaper area (scattered red dots on the skin) when she starts getting sick and I think it's the same kind of viral thing that is going to come back a few times before it's gone for good.   

• Seasoul- I can't quote again on my phone! It's too long.

I wasn't diagnosed with VWB until 2008 when I bled out during my lap. According to my hematologist, your WVB factor (which I think is factor 8 but I could be remembering wrong) can vary causing your symptoms to be more obvious at times.

We had a follow up appointment for Kate's GI issues Amani mentioned the fever she had. It was 100.4 one time (and went down with Tylenol). I had been sick and figured she just got what I had. The pedi noticed the marks (which were just a few very tiny dots - not lines - but they didn't blanch) and sent us for a CBC. We've had 3 CBCs since and each has looked more alarming than the one before. But, Kate is totally asymptomatic which is giving me hope that the doctors don't seem to have.
  • imagecmw&tdm:

Wow, that does sound scary.  I'm glad that it seems to be just viral and will pass soon hopefully.  

I actually went through something similar when DS was about two.  He had little reddish/brown dots in a cluster on his ear lobe.  Out ped wasn't available so I saw another one in the practice and she got all excited, which freaked me out, but we waited for a blood test and the conclusion was that it was viral.  That same rash (although it was really broken blood vessels under the skin, so probably not technically a rash) came back whenever he got sick until maybe close to a year later (maybe 5 times total), but it hasn't shown up again in well over a year.  I'm thinking it probably is finally gone now.  

Oddly, DD has started getting a weird rash in her diaper area (scattered red dots on the skin) when she starts getting sick and I think it's the same kind of viral thing that is going to come back a few times before it's gone for good.   

Hm, these sound much like Cal's...especially the red dots in the diaper area.  He had another curious rash (which I swear was petechiae, but looked different - but they DID blanch with pressure) about a year ago, and has had many others...I think he is just prone.

Life is beautiful!

• imageLCB34:
    Seasoul- I can't quote again on my phone! It's too long.

I wasn't diagnosed with VWB until 2008 when I bled out during my lap. According to my hematologist, your WVB factor (which I think is factor 8 but I could be remembering wrong) can vary causing your symptoms to be more obvious at times.

We had a follow up appointment for Kate's GI issues Amani mentioned the fever she had. It was 100.4 one time (and went down with Tylenol). I had been sick and figured she just got what I had. The pedi noticed the marks (which were just a few very tiny dots - not lines - but they didn't blanch) and sent us for a CBC. We've had 3 CBCs since and each has looked more alarming than the one before. But, Kate is totally asymptomatic which is giving me hope that the doctors don't seem to have.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised they tested her with a 1-time fever of 100.4 and a few tiny dots.  But if her counts were off, then I guess it's a good thing.  I hope they get to the bottom of it and it's totally manageable - what type of test was done after the CBCs?

Life is beautiful!

• that's weird that it's in lines like that... hmmm...

but I do think the whole "He has what Ella has" idea is spot on.

I hope. Hang in there momma. And STAY AWAY FROM DR. GOOGLE!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • I also forgot to tell you she had severe diaper rash that looked like pimples and it wouldn't go away
  • imageLCB34:

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I will keep Kate in my prayers.  I hope you will give us an update when you get the results back.  

• imageSeaSoul:

imageLCB34:

Wow, I'm kind of surprised they tested her with a 1-time fever of 100.4 and a few tiny dots.  But if her counts were off, then I guess it's a good thing.  I hope they get to the bottom of it and it's totally manageable - what type of test was done after the CBCs?

I was pissed they did the test at first because they had to take blood from her arm and she was only 2.5 months the first time. But, now I am thankful the pedi ordered it. I can't remember everything they were testing for last Monday (several antibodies, mineral levels, a leukemia test, and a few others) - I just know they took 5 or 6 vials of blood and that Kate was not happy about it at all.
  • imageLCB34:
    imageSeaSoul:

imageLCB34:

I was pissed they did the test at first because they had to take blood from her arm and she was only 2.5 months the first time. But, now I am thankful the pedi ordered it. I can't remember everything they were testing for last Monday (several antibodies, mineral levels, a leukemia test, and a few others) - I just know they took 5 or 6 vials of blood and that Kate was not happy about it at all.

So, after the 3 CBCs the rest were still blood tests?  I didn't know if they had to do a bone marrow test.  Ugh.  Is one of the possible auto-immune disorders Lupus?  I read that that can be a diagnosis for all this.  Oh my...5-6 vials.  Cal was crying hard for his, but it was only 2 vials.  I can't imagine a) a newborn, and b) that many vials.

Can't stop thinking of you and how you're feeling right now. 

Life is beautiful!

• Bone marrow aspiration is our next step. The hematolgist wanted more detailed blood work before she gave the oncologist the ok to do something so invasive since Kate would be put under for the bone marrow test. I really appreciate the thoughts. It has been a very emotional week and I've been thankful to be out of town as it acted as a bit of a distraction.
  • imageChristakim:
    I also forgot to tell you she had severe diaper rash that looked like pimples and it wouldn't go away

Interesting...Cal had a severe diaper rash that showed up Monday.  Didn't look like pimples, but was bright red and just awful.  Then the cold on Tuesday and the "rash" (marks on his skin) Thursday night.

Life is beautiful!

• Scary stuff, Mama...but I'm SURE this is just a viral thing.  My pedi told us that there are literally thousands of viral rashes out there that can cause all sorts of weird stuff, just like what you are describing.

FWIW, my husband gets the exact same type of things...if anything touches him the wrong way, he gets what I call a petechial scrape mark.  He's fine and has no clotting issues...he just has really sensitive skin. 

(((Hugs)))

• Oh honey.  How absolutely terrifying.  I can only imagine how frightened you and DH must have been.  What a terrible day.  The good news is that the worst is over and while it will be a challenge to figure out what is going on with Cal's skin, you will be determined.  Going to give Jacob a big hug right now!
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageLCB34:
    Bone marrow aspiration is our next step. The hematolgist wanted more detailed blood work before she gave the oncologist the ok to do something so invasive since Kate would be put under for the bone marrow test. I really appreciate the thoughts. It has been a very emotional week and I've been thankful to be out of town as it acted as a bit of a distraction.

Good for the hematologist!  I am crossing my everything that this is something relatively trivial and easy to treat.

Life is beautiful!

• imagedana316:

Scary stuff, Mama...but I'm SURE this is just a viral thing.  My pedi told us that there are literally thousands of viral rashes out there that can cause all sorts of weird stuff, just like what you are describing.

FWIW, my husband gets the exact same type of things...if anything touches him the wrong way, he gets what I call a petechial scrape mark.  He's fine and has no clotting issues...he just has really sensitive skin. 

(((Hugs)))

Thanks!  This is encouraging to hear...has your husband's condition ever been diagnosed?  Are the marks topical or under the skin?

Life is beautiful!

• Seasoul, I hope you get some answers soon. Sounds like some of the pp's have some good advice. I'm glad the bloodwork looked reassuring.

LCB34, I literally feel sick with worry for you and your little one. I will be praying that everything turns out as well as possible. Many good thoughts and prayers coming your way. 

• It's interesting to me to read this because DD gets random rashes... out of nowhere, she'll have a few pinkish red spots on her face (sometimes in lines, sometimes spots) and then they'll go away fairly quickly. She also has purplish marks under her skin, mostly on her face, and when I asked the pedi (in a panic of course), he said that it's normal, and she may just have very rosy cheeks (which she always had and still gets sometimes).

She also had some symptoms of either hand/foot/mouth or strep about 4-5 weeks ago (along with a rash all over) and developed a nasty diaper rash this past week that we can't get rid of. We thought daycare put something on her, and they did but only because she was extremely red and bumpy in her diaper area. So maybe it's related...

Sorry about the scare... hopefully it turns out to be nothing! It's so stressful to be a mommy sometimes!

• imageLCB34:

How scary... I'm sending many thoughts and prayers to you and your little girl!!

• Oh man, I'm sorry you went through that. I'm glad you did get some good news though. I hope those pesky marks will go away asap!!!
    TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • I'm so sorry for your scare. I have Von wildebrans and so do both of my babies. Although the severity of the VWB can vary the only thing it's impacted for me is before and during surgeries.

It hasn't really impacted either of the babies at this point either. Their hematologist has us pay extra attention to when they fall ect. but so far it hasn't been a big issue.

Good luck to you.  

• Seasoul - I am sorry you are going though this. Your pedi rocks. I am so glad they were able to see you on a Sunday, (a holiday weekend, no less!) and get the ball rolling. I will keep Cal in my thoughts as you wait for more results. Good luck! Give him big hugs from all of us - hugs for you too, mama.

LCB - I am so sorry you are going through this! I cannot even imagine. You and sweet kate are in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like your pedi is really on the ball, thank goodness he ordered the bloodwork. Please keep us posted! ((HUGS))

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Seasoul-my god how scary but so glad its not the worst case scenario..hoping its something minor and he is all better!

LCB-I can't even imagine how you must feel. I will keep you and Kate in my prayers! You are such a strong mama and I know Kate loves you for that!

We are here for you both and hope all turns out ok!!

• OH boy! Hang in there! I bet he'll be fine, sorry you have to go through all if it!
  • So scary!  Hope it's viral and all's better soon!
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • How terrifying.  Thinking of you guys.
  • How scary, Seasoul!  I'm hoping it is viral and he's all better soon.

LCB - I can't begin to imagine how you're feeling.  I'll be praying for Kate and you.  I'm hoping for the best possible diagnosis for Kate.

After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Poor you and poor Cal.  I can't imagine how scared you must've been.  I hope you get word that it's viral and all is back to normal soon.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • LCB - you are in my thoughts. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"