Indiana Babies
Options

Anyone give Pediasure?

I've suddenly become slightly obsessed with Ella's calorie intake, as in I don't think she's getting enough. Part of the problem is that she hasn't been weighed since September so I have no clue if she's gaining appropriately...all I know is that she hasn't outgrown any clothes in the last few months, and she eats like a bird.

I caved today and bought Pediasure because it was on sale at Meijer. I feel like I'm giving my child formula again.

Anyone ever given Pediasure, and if so, was it under doc's orders or because you're overly worried like I am? This is one of the first things I've ever actually been worried worried about with her.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone give Pediasure?

• Options

We tried the pediasure. (Docs orders for both kids) neither of them liked it. Too rich and thick I think. (We also were given several different prescription drinks too...)  

BUT: They can be alright once in awhile. Who of us hasn't replaced a meal with a shake or nutrition bar once in awhile??  I don't think it can really hurt in the long run.   I've been meaning to try the Sidekick shake ones to see if my birds will drink it.  And they used to make pediasure snack bars that James LOVED with yogurt and fruit (plus vitamins and calories!) I'm so sad they stopped!

Remember the 1 good meal in 3 days rule.  Smile

Edit to add: The goal with K is 2500 calories a day (this is because she's FTT and they're trying to get her to beef up) If you're really worried you could try to count calories - it's really hard with a kid though! (since half of what you give them ends up on the floor/shirt....)

• Options
    Our pedi will do a weight check for you, and they don't count it as a dr visit.  Usually just a nurse or NP does the visit.  They will let you know how you stand.  We have done a couple and I highly recommend it to set your mind at ease. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I second Ann's idea on the weight check. And maybe ask her doctor about where she's at on the growth grids. If she's starting to fall off, there are other ways to boost calories besides a supplement. Kids growth starts to slow down a little after one year. And sometimes supplements can interfere with appetite (i.e. they just want to drink Pediasure and not eat). That's why I'd wait to talk to the doctor first.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking from my professional experience here, not personal of course. PM me if you want! Smile

• Options

My experience is different because Maya eats like a freaking cow but she gained almost nothing from her 12 month to her 15 month appt.  She still hasn't hit 20 lbs and is now in the 10% range on weight. Where on earth does she get that because it isn't from mama!  She went from 50% to 25% to now 10%.  Our doc still wasn't concerned because she said that this is an age where kids can be too busy too eat (not our problem obviously) or moving so much that they just burn all the calories that they take in.

Nothing in here about pediasure, I know, but I just don't think you should worry about Ella not gaining a lot of weight because that seems to happen at this age. A weight check is a great idea if it will help set your mind at ease and if something happens that it doesn't set your mind at ease, at least you will have more information to make a decision on how to proceed.

• Options
    My sister (who is a pedi) gave it to my niece.  She's always been on the low side of weight, and after she weaned from breastfeeding, my sis would give her a sippy cup of it as a bedtime snack (then of course brushed her teeth after).  She really needed the calories.  I forget exactly how long she gave it to her for, but it was a long time. 
  • Options

Thanks guys! She doesn't seem to like it that much anyway so this may be a futile attempt.

We're going to the pedi on Wednesday for her post-antibiotics ear check, so I'll have her weighed then.

It's funny - it wasn't until this week that I've been concerned. I've always felt that as long as she seems happy, active, hitting milestones, etc. that I shouldn't worry. Which is, of course, true...so why now? Whatever, parenting is weird.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My friend (pedi) suggested it for A, but you know, I'm not sure.

The reason is because we use to fortify his milk with extra calories.  He didnt drink much at all because it was so calorie dense. 

But we thought if we gave him regular milk, he would starve to death. I was shocked that he drank exactly the amount more he needed to make up for the unfortified milk. 

So I think if we gave Andrew pediasure, he would have that much less reason to eat "real" food.  And so I don't know that I won't to go down that path unless he's losing weight. 

I'd instead consider a weight check.

• Options
    imageshauna060708:

My experience is different because Maya eats like a freaking cow but she gained almost nothing from her 12 month to her 15 month appt.  She still hasn't hit 20 lbs and is now in the 10% range on weight. Where on earth does she get that because it isn't from mama!  She went from 50% to 25% to now 10%.  Our doc still wasn't concerned because she said that this is an age where kids can be too busy too eat (not our problem obviously) or moving so much that they just burn all the calories that they take in.

Same here, she's now between 10-25% on the WHO chart for weight.  She's been sick on and off for the past few months, and never sits still so it didn't really concern me.  She's also in the 90% range for height, so she's growing.  

Lauren, If you're really concerned try to get her in for a weight check.  Also, from what I can tell you're pretty slim yourself so she may just have your body type. Isabella's weight is low, but she has a narrow frame like me and I've always been on the low end weight-wise so I try to keep that in mind.  Maybe Ella's weight gain has just leveled off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"