Natural Birth
Options

Really dumb question alert

So I hear about people having home births and spending hours in the shower or the tub.  And I always wonder, how do you not run out of hot water?  When I labored in the shower at the hospital, I wanted to stay in there forever and I just don't think that would work at my house.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Really dumb question alert

• Options
    I kept thinking the exact same thing!  I could probably keep the water warm in my tub, but not a huge birthing tub and not a shower! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lol go down to your water heater and turn it all the way up! Don't keep it that way if you have toddlers in the house though as they could easily burn themselves in the tub or sink.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you could also boil water on the stove and add it to the birthing tub to make it hotter if you needed to.
  • Options

I think some women get in and out of the shower enough that it has time to get hot again.

We had a bith pool downstairs, and my labor went so fast it didn't have a chance to get cold. But if it had, I'd have asked my hubby or the MW's apprentices to empty some out and refill. The volume of water in the birth pool wasn't much more than what goes into our bathroom tub, so I think it would have been fine.

• Options

The birth pools that are available for rent around here (either from my midwives or from a local service) have heaters in them. Otherwise, Penny Simkin's advice is to turn up the water heater and post signs on all the faucets. I will probably suck it up and rent a tub.

• Options
    imageLittleEgypt:

The birth pools that are available for rent around here (either from my midwives or from a local service) have heaters in them. Otherwise, Penny Simkin's advice is to turn up the water heater and post signs on all the faucets. I will probably suck it up and rent a tub.

I've heard about the heated tubs, but they're like $200 to rent, right?

I'd be wary of turning up the water heater ahead of time, with a toddler in the house, but I guess you could do it when you realize you're in early labor.  Heating water on the stove is a good idea too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageLittleEgypt:

I've heard about the heated tubs, but they're like $200 to rent, right?

I'd be wary of turning up the water heater ahead of time, with a toddler in the house, but I guess you could do it when you realize you're in early labor.  Heating water on the stove is a good idea too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hahaha! I just asked one of my MWs this last week. She said that day just go turn the heater up, but yeah.... I assume at some point it would be good to find other good ways to labor ;)
  • Options

The tub I rented had a heat pump...it cost $250 to rent.  Well worth the money for me.  

I think we adjusted our hot water before I went into labor- I can't remember, but I think there is some sort of control that limits your hot water from reaching a certain temp to prevent scalding.  We just turned ours up and were careful to not go too crazy. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    When I had DD at a birthing center I labored in the shower for something like 9 hours straight.  I'm planning a homebirth for this one, and we now have a tankless water heater, so if I decide to do the same thing, it should be ok.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"