Indiana Babies
Options

Bottle to cup and whole milk

So I thought the issue would be that he wouldnt want to drink whole milk instead it's he'll drink whole milk from a bottle but not a hard spout cup.  help!!!  We are just working on the small dinner bottle (2ozs) so I'm wondering ...do I just let him continue to drink the whole milk from the bottle or put it into a soft spout cup or just keep forcing him to try the hard spout cup???? 

Re: Bottle to cup and whole milk

• Options

I'd say that's up to you. There are different ways to do this. 

We went to whole milk in a bottle at 1 yr b/c Andrew was nowhere near ready for a sippy. 

At 15 1/2 months he still couldn't use a sippy, so we went cold turkey off the bottle at that point in time.  

• Options
    imagelemen99:

We went to whole milk in a bottle at 1 yr b/c Andrew was nowhere near ready for a sippy. 

At 15 1/2 months he still couldn't use a sippy, so we went cold turkey off the bottle at that point in time.  

Yeah I'm not really sure where to go or how to go......tonight for dinner we went with a sippy soft spout cup with no handles so kinda like a bottle but not really and it went okay but who knows how long this is going to take to get going and when to start the next one.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelemen99:

What kind of cup did you go to??

• Options
    Have you tried a straw cup?  That's pretty much all we use.
  • Options
    Claire does well with Tilty Cups.  We still use bottles, but we do the Tilty Cup a couple times a day. 
  • Options
    imageuofihoard:
    imagelemen99:

What kind of cup did you go to??

We just picked one - Gerber sippies - but he never caught on to any of htem. A month later switched to straws.

• Options
    We have had really good luck with Nuby brand sippys.  I looked for them online, but couldn't find the exact one.  We got ours at BRU. 
  • Options

We started with cheapy take and toss ones from Krogers.  It kinda just comes out of the cup so she didn't have to work at it.   She still wont hold the cup herself so I wasn't worried about it being a no spill cup.  Once she got the hang of that I I tried her on the other cups and she did just fine.  I still use the cheap cups most of the time but use the no spill ones if we are going places. Switching doesn't seem to bother her now. 

She never really liked the bottle so when I started to wean we used both sippy cup and some bottles, now we only use cups.  I think I am going to use the toddler formula for about a month after she turns one because we will be traveling and I don't want to have to worry about traveling with real milk. 

• Options
    We did the switch cold turkey at 13 mos and thankfully had no issues. We did try the soft sprout first. We had something like this and this one. Now they will drink out of anything.
  • Options

We struggled with this exact issue for a LONG time.  This is one of the reasons why it took until 18 months to transition out of the bottle.  She's always struggled with weight gain so getting the milk in was more important than the container.  Then for the next two months she only drank about 3-4 ounces of milk a day out of a sippie.  Now for the past two months we switched to soy milk and that has made all the difference!  She still gets the other dairy from lots of milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese.

Since he's just over a year, I would personally make sure that he drinks at least one good sized bottle of milk a day and keep trying the sippie at dinner and throughout the day with just milk.  He'll drink when he's thirsty and if that's all that's offered he might get better at it.

Good luck!  It seems like some babies take the change easier than others.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone....we are going to stay on formula for the first 3 bottles of the day and then do whole milk from a sippy at dinner and go from there.  Sounds like it's a process no matter what route we take!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"