Military Families

Enrolling baby in DEERS while H is at basic?

I'm due January 28th and my H is leaving for basic training on January 4th. I did read the post below about enrolling a newborn in DEERS but I also noticed some people mentioned the solider/sailor/etc would have to have a part in this. What if he is gone? TYIA.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Enrolling baby in DEERS while H is at basic?

• Look into a POA so you can do this without him.  My H sent me a form and it was all I needed to enroll myself but it may be different with a baby.  Better safe than sorry.
  • What's a POA? Sorry, I don't know a lot of the lingo.
  • Loading the player...
  • Power of Attorney
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • imageBrit242:
    Power of Attorney

Yes

• A general POA is not sufficient, though. Go to the base legal office before he leaves and explain your situation so they can give you the right POA with specific language about enrolling LO in DEERS.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:
    A general POA is not sufficient, though. Go to the base legal office before he leaves and explain your situation so they can give you the right POA with specific language about enrolling LO in DEERS.

You might have an issue with this, since at that point in time, he will not officially be in the Military and will not be able to use the services, we ran into this issue with DH, but maybe bases will vary on what they will allow, and DD was born after he was done basic.  Have him ask his recruiter too. 

• imageLadybug8510:

imagemeltoine:
    A general POA is not sufficient, though. Go to the base legal office before he leaves and explain your situation so they can give you the right POA with specific language about enrolling LO in DEERS.

You might have an issue with this, since at that point in time, he will not officially be in the Military and will not be able to use the services, we ran into this issue with DH, but maybe bases will vary on what they will allow, and DD was born after he was done basic.  Have him ask his recruiter too. 

Agreed.  

• You will need POA (Power of Attorney) which he should be able to get from Legal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"