Pre-School and Daycare
Options

If you had a repeat c-section

We're planning to start trying for #2 in the spring and I'm terrified of another c-sec. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for a VBAC either as my previous c-sec was preceded by 30 hrs of labor and 3 hrs of pushing. I will most likely go w/ another c-sec. My questions is was your recovery easier the second time around? were there any complications? what kind of anesthesia did you have? did you feel anything with epidural/spinal? (I had general)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you had a repeat c-section

• Options
    Recovery was the same for both.  First week was rough, but then I was fine.  I had a spinal the 2nd time around and it worked like a charm, much better than the epi did.  Didn't feel a thing and it was a little strange.  Was worried I'd have a lot of anxiety with a repeat c/s, but I was so excited it was a breeze. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

My recovery from the second was much easier than the first.  I was up moving a lot earlier and moving around in the first few weeks was easier.  

I had a spinal for both c/s (both planned) and getting it didn't hurt either time.  IMO a shot at the dentist hurts worse.  I didn't feel anything at all during the surgery.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Aiden 10.17.07 Emma 07.15.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

re:anesthesiology pain - I meant more ...did it wear off at some point? I heard there may be "hot spots" w/ epidurals and that's basically my worst fear. I was almost relieved when they told me i had to get general last time.

• Options
    imageneya28:

re:anesthesiology pain - I meant more ...did it wear off at some point? I heard there may be "hot spots" w/ epidurals and that's basically my worst fear. I was almost relieved when they told me i had to get general last time.

the spinal didn't wear off for several hours after the c/s.  by then I was getting IV pain meds and was feeling fine.  I don't feel so good once they take that out the next day, but I was moving around much better the 2nd time around. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

My 2nd c-section was so much easier than my 1st but I was in severe distress from pre-e/HELLP the first time and a lot of it was a blur.  Knowing I was having a c-section made things easier mentally.  I knew we would choose the day and I'd be prepared for it.

I also think the recovery was easier because I knew how I would feel about moving, lifting, etc.  I knew my limits and I didn't push to recover too fast.

I had a spinal.  I felt nothing.  I only knew the baby was born when my dh's eyes bulged big time over seeing her- I then heard her cry.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    A planned c-section, to me, is much easier than an unplanned one b/c you know what to expect. I had a spinal for both, so I felt nothing, and recovery was the same. I wasn't in that much pain afterwards for either of them, and i had no complications. When I had my dd, dh took over most of the parenting for ds. He would feed him, give him a bath, etc, until I was able to move around easier and lift him in/out of the tub. That helped a lot.
  • Options
    Yes, my recovery was a lot easier. I knew what to expect and how to manage pain better.I had absolutely no complications for either c-sections. I had a spinal for both they were both planned. Honestly, the prick was not bad at all. I was so excited to see my kids that the pain was minimal before surgery. The most painful part this time around was the needle in my hand (not sure what it's called) but the bags of water they give you before surgery. I had a huge bruise from that and couldn't wait to get it out!
  • Options
    My recovery was the same and I had a spinal. I had no interest in trying for a VBAC. However, in my area there are very few doctors that will allow VBACs and only one hospital. So in planning I would start by talking to your OB about your options.
  • Options
    With my first baby I didn't have a c-section, but I had a 4th degree tear.  It was so horrible.  Not that this really anwers your question, but with my secnod baby I choose a c-section and no kidding, it was a piece of cake compared to what I went through the first time.  A lot of people told me their c-section was awful, but to be able to walk around or sit without a problem was so awesome.  I guess everyone is different, and I don't know about repeat c-sections.  It was also nice to know what was going on with my 2-yearold when I had the second baby (like to have everything ready, not to have to dash off in the middle of the night or whatnot).  GL!
  • Options

I think c-sections get a bad rap.  I had two - planned - with spinals and had no complications.  My hospital kept the epi in until the next morning.  Once it was removed it took a few hours for the feeling to return to my legs.  Once it did, the nurses got me up and moving as soon as possible.  Later that day I took a lap around the ward.  It was uncomfortable (I remember shuffling a bit) but necessary to avoid pain later, or so I've heard.  

I took the meds offered for the first couple of days then sort of weaned myself off of them.  I was told not to carry anything heavier than the baby and couldn't drive for a couple of weeks so I had to have someone take me to the follow up appointments with the pediatrician.  But in all honesty, it was completely manageable.

Good luck what ever you decide! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    I had a repeat c-section. I was up and shopping for 2 hours at Target 5 days after. Drove myself to my daughter's 3 day-old dr. appointment. Very simple and only took the super Motrin (800 mg? I think--the prescription one) for 5 days after. Can't compare it to a VBAC, but from a friend who had a VBAC, she wished she had done a repeat c/s--very difficult/painful/long recovery--and she was 10 years younger than I was when I had my second.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"