Indiana Babies
Options

Advice needed: caring for toddler on crutches

So DH and I spent our Thanksgiving night in the ER.  To make a long story short, I fell down the steps from the house to garage while taking out the trash.  I have a severe (grade 3) sprain to my left ankle and am on crutches, Vicodin, and non-weight bearing for at least a week.  The ER doctor is having my X-Rays looked over again today by the radiologist because he was shocked there were no fractures.

So, does anyone have any advice on caring for a toddler while you're on crutches?  Since I'm a SAHM, I don't know how I'm going to care for him when DH goes back to work on Monday.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to crawl around while holding his hand because I don't think carrying a toddler while using crutches is feasible.  :p  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice needed: caring for toddler on crutches

• Options
    Oh goodness!  I hope that you recover quickly.  When I was on crutches a few years ago, I kept a bag nearby that had everything I would need...water bottle, snack, TV remote, kleenex, etc.  I could hang the bag crosswise on my body when I needed to move and it kept everything close at hand.  Can you have DH help you put together something similar?  Have lots of toys and books on the floor.  The only thing I'd be super concerned about would be putting him in his crib for naptime and taking him out.  Is there anyone who could come over for a few hours and help with that?  GL! 
  • Options

Oh no, I hope you are OK.  Sounds terrible :-(

I wasn't allowed to lift Jacob  for weeks after my c-section. I definitely did some creative things, such as have him climb up on a chair and then climb from their to his high chair.   I think you'll be doing some creative problem solving this week too.  :-(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just saw your fb post  :(  No advice here, but I hope you feel better!  I'm sick w/strep now, but call me if you need anything next week!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Options
    Ouch! I can not even imagine being on crutches and taking care of a toddler. I hope you are okay and heel up soon!
  • Options

No real advice except to try using the crutch on the affected side only. That should free up the other arm to hold the little one. You'd still have some trouble lifting the LO up, but at least you could carry them around at times.

Good luck!

• Options

OMG> I have no idea.  Can you talk to your doctor about it?

Can you drive?

• Options

can you use a baby carrier? yeah not idea, but when in a pinch?

my beco is actually pretty good for bigger kids. I could use it when andrew was 20 lb.  you can borrow it if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"