D.C. Area Babies

failed 3-hour test by ONE point

ugh, ugh, ugh.

Two of my reads were normal, one was 15 points above the cut-off and one was ONE point over the cutoff.

I get to go in for diabetes education class on Friday at Holy Cross and start monitoring my blood sugar.

No dessert for me tomorrow, I guess :-( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: failed 3-hour test by ONE point

• oh MAN that sucks! I failed all four draws miserably so i feel like i earned my diagnosis, but only to have one of them be one point over just stinks.

who are you meeting with at holy cross - evelyn? she is very nice but quite the talker (i was there 2 hours!) and then once i got home i realized i had a million questions that she never answered. she'll probably give you the monitor for free with a starter pack of lancets and strips, and then i took my rx from CWC to cvs to fill for more lancets and strips. my insurance has covered those at 100% but they are sticklers as to how often you can refill. make sure when you fill it they know how many times a day you are testing.

here's a tip: enjoy your thanksgiving. :) seriously.  i'm planning on having a splurge day. i know it won't hurt the baby to have one afternoon of high numbers. i won't be going gangbusters, but i'm not depriving myself either. eat your dinner stuff, wait about 2 hours, then have your dessert as if it was a "snack". a short walk right after you eat can help lower your sugars too so you may find some activity (even just doing the stairs a couple times) can keep your post meal numbers under control even if you splurge.

there are a lot of us GD moms on the high-risk pregnancy board, but you know where to find me if you have any questions at all! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, zerf! I know there are cut-offs for a reason, but it does stink.

I will enjoy Thanksgiving and just start fresh on Friday. I will be seeing Evelyn--she seemed really nice on the phone.

So Beverly from CWC didn't say anything about extra monitoring - my next appointment is a week from Friday, though, so maybe they'll talk to me about it then? If I get another peek or two at my baby, that will go a little way toward making up for it, I guess.

I am terrified of the lancet and pricking my finger, though. Even more terrified of that than of the fertility shots. Please tell me they're not too bad!

I swear, once the kid comes out, I am refusing any shots or blood draws for at least a year. I want some non-pin cushion time! 

• Loading the player...
  • I failed 2 parts of my 3 hour by just a few points too. Luckily the diet for me hasn't been bad and I think I'm still going to have a small sliver of pie (no crust though) tomorrow! Good luck!

After 3 miscarriages, I got my forever baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemssaint:

Thanks, zerf! I know there are cut-offs for a reason, but it does stink.

I will enjoy Thanksgiving and just start fresh on Friday. I will be seeing Evelyn--she seemed really nice on the phone.

So Beverly from CWC didn't say anything about extra monitoring - my next appointment is a week from Friday, though, so maybe they'll talk to me about it then? If I get another peek or two at my baby, that will go a little way toward making up for it, I guess.

I am terrified of the lancet and pricking my finger, though. Even more terrified of that than of the fertility shots. Please tell me they're not too bad!

I swear, once the kid comes out, I am refusing any shots or blood draws for at least a year. I want some non-pin cushion time! 

seriously, i am so OVER the needles. :)  i was scared to do it, esp. because DH gave me all the shots for our IUIs. It's not too bad. Sometimes I still have to psych myself up for it (4x a day, it gets old) but it's not horrible. Just make sure to rotate fingers. Evelyn will show you how. I have my lancet set on a 2 and I find that on some of my fingers that get used more often so the skin is tougher I have to push harder to get it to stick deep enough to draw blood.

You shouldn't need extra monitoring as long as you can control your sugars with diet/exercise. after the first 2 weeks, my fasting numbers were still high so Dr. Tyau put me on a low dose med (not insulin shots) to bring them down, and that is when you have to start having weekly biophysical profiles (ultrasounds) and appts.

You'll be fine! Trust me, if I'm still doing well and I went 4 weeks without being notified I failed, you'll do great with those numbers. I will warn you in advance that I've heard once the baby gets bigger (34ish weeks) it may be harder to control your numbers. Maybe it's the meds helping me but i haven't noticed that.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ditto everything Zerf said - I had to test from 7 weeks until the end of my pregnancy (long story) - but you really will get used to it.  I still test sometimes to make sure I am on track (long term risk due to my health history) - so you do get used to the needles.
  • Oh no! Can you get a redo?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • @gtown, I asked for a "do-over" and the nurse laughed at me. Honestly, if they had called me to say "you passed three of the draws, but one you only passed by one point," I probably would have freaked out, too. I'm not too worried now about the next 10 weeks or so, but I really hope this doesn't mean an induction.
  • I'm sorry to hear it!  I had GD, too, and although it freaked me out at first, it wasn't so bad in the end.  I honestly probably ate better once I got the diagnosis.  (I had to give up the daily doughnut habit I'd adopted early on in my pregnancy, and I started seeing fruit as a treat.)  My weight gain actually slowed so much that my OB told me to start snacking on cheeseburgers (without the bun).  In the end, DS was completely fine and arrived at a very average 7 lbs 8 oz., and my blood sugar was back in the normal range when they checked after delivery.

I think you'll feel better once you meet with the diabetes educator.  The biggest thing for me was eating more on a schedule so that my meals and snacks were always separated by a couple of hours.  If I got off schedule, my numbers were usually off. 

By the way, I agree with zerf about tomorrow:  Enjoy yourself.  Don't go overboard (maybe limit yourself to one piece of pumpkin pie), but try not to worry too much about your food choices until you've met with the diabetes educator and have your plan.

Good luck!

• I was in an almost identical boat. I didn't pass 2 of the 4 tests. Both of them I failed by less than 5 points (I honestly can't remember the exact numbers now.)

I got diagnosed before Halloween (last year) so I had to start the holiday season in a crappy mood. To make a long story short, I was bitter initially but happy in the end. I really watched my diet more than I would have (and I considered myself a healthy eater.) My baby was a typical weight, no problems with blood sugar. And I consider it a heads up to watch my blood sugar as I get older since I am now more at risk for Type II.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • UGH!!! That is exactly what happened to me, except I TIED the cut-off for that one reading. It sucks thinking that you were so so close to not going through the diet & finger pricks. Once I finally came to peace with the challenge of it, I became grateful for the more healthy diet I had for the rest of pregnancy, and tried not to fight the thought of it every day.

Just think how much more you'll appreciate desserts once you're able to have them again after the birth!!! You can do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"