AD moms (baby shower) — The Bump
Military Families

AD moms (baby shower)

I just PCSed to NC from Alaska this year. 4 months after we got here I found out I was pregnant (yay!). I had never considered having a baby shower bc our families (me/DH)  are not close (distance) at all. We've also lost touch with most of our "childhood friends" since joining the Coast Guard.

With that being said, everyone at work is asking me when we are having our shower. I've told them that i'm not having one and they all say I NEED to have a shower and that I NEED to invite everyone from work (I work with ALL men). I feel like I would be gift grubbing if I did that because i'm not particularly close with any of them.

Now i'm confused and don't know what to do. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do?

FYI: I would not be hosting it myself. 

Re: AD moms (baby shower)

• If you aren't comfortable with it and don't want to have one then don't. Easy peasy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was in your situation. I did not feel comfortable having a shower, especially because I didn't want my troops feeling like they had to buy me a gift!  I mean, that would be awful.  When people pestered me, that is exactly what I told them. What ended up happening is my peers made me a personal shower in someone's home, and then my supervisor had a very small one with only a few people (NO subordinates) at work. It wasn't publicized, just a small luncheon with my supervisor and a few others in the flight. 

If people ask, just be honest: Tell them that you don't feel comfortable because of exactly the reason you posted. If they want to throw you something, they can do it away from the workplace, and it can be small. 

• Loading the player...
  • image Dancer6978:

I was in your situation. I did not feel comfortable having a shower, especially because I didn't want my troops feeling like they had to buy me a gift!  I mean, that would be awful.  When people pestered me, that is exactly what I told them. What ended up happening is my peers made me a personal shower in someone's home, and then my supervisor had a very small one with only a few people (NO subordinates) at work. It wasn't publicized, just a small luncheon with my supervisor and a few others in the flight. 

If people ask, just be honest: Tell them that you don't feel comfortable because of exactly the reason you posted. If they want to throw you something, they can do it away from the workplace, and it can be small. 

Thanks. That is what I have been telling them.
  • we are having a "welcome baby party" after she is born...that way people can meet her, its not gift grabby, and we can all get together and have some interaction time, lol...

thats an option...

• We moved when I was 6 months pregnant. I did not have a shower since I felt it was too early when we left our previous assignment and I didnt know anyone here. But my work center put together a collection and gave us a gift card to Target. It was nice and family has sent lots of gifts since Ty was born.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards