1st Trimester
Options

Avoiding Stuffing?

Is anyone avoiding stuffing this year because of baby?  This is my favorite food of the day!  I have read that it's okay if it was cooked outside of the turkey.  Do you think if it was cooked inside and I reheated it in the microwave that it'll be okay?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Avoiding Stuffing?

• Options

I think the whole cooking stuffing outside of the turkey is a non-pregnancy thing (salmonella, maybe?).  I cannot fathom why it would effect a pregnant woman more than anyone else.

i'd just go ahead and eat it.

• Options
    imagesamfish2bcrab:

I think the whole cooking stuffing outside of the turkey is a non-pregnancy thing (salmonella, maybe?).  I cannot fathom why it would effect a pregnant woman more than anyone else.

i'd just go ahead and eat it.

This. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Really? If you want stuffing, eat stuffing.
  • Options
    i fully plan on eating stuffing
  • Options
    I think you should just eat the stuffing.  You don't need to reheat it.  It's already cooked.  Pregnancy is a normal part of life and if you go around questioning everything you'll drive yourself nuts. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ate stuffing at least twice if not more when I was pregnant and every time it was cooked in the bird.  If the bird is fully cooked, there should be no fear of salmonilla.  Go ahead and eat your stuffing.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    I think it's fine.  It is technically recommended that no one stuff their turkey therefore, also to not eat the stuffing from inside the bird.  However, if you're safe and the turkey has been cleaned, thawed properly and stuffed right before entering the oven, I think it's OK, or at least more safe.  I personally cook stuffing in the turkey and outside in a pan.  The inside stuffing is mushy and bake in a pan stuffing is more crispy.  My family has always done this.  Some like mushy stuffing, some crispy.
  • Options
    You couldn't pay me enough to stay away from stuffing today.  My family usually puts some in the turkey and then we have another batch that's cooked separately, so I guess I will opt for the one in the baking dish, but I really hadn't thought about it before now.
  • Options
    Just eat the stuffing!!  I'm totally going to eat it!!!   Happy Turkey Day =0)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I'm not one that is wary of food when pregnant, but this is one that kinda grosses me out, pregnant or not.  The folks that host our Thanksgiving dinner have never cooked stuffing in the bird, so thankfully it's kind of a non-issue for me.    https://www.seriouseats.com/2009/11/alton-brown-says-no-to-stuffing-the-turkey-dressing-thanksgiving.html

• Options

imageMelissa2216:
    You couldn't pay me enough to stay away from stuffing today. 

Yes

Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving. 

♥ mm/c 2/6/2010 ♥ lydia 4/28/2011 ♥ c/p 10/25/2011 ♥ edd 2/23/2012
  • Options
    imagesamfish2bcrab:

I cannot fathom why it would effect a pregnant woman more than anyone else.

Because a woman's immune system is somewhat suppressed during pregnancy.  And also because certain bacteria, like listeria, can lead to miscarriage (rare but possible).  Not trying to sound super alarmist, and I eat many of the things on the no-no list myself...just sayin'.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm083316.htm

• Options

Stuffing in the bird is NOT okay for anyone.  I don't understand who people don't know this.  The internal cavity of the bird often does not reach 165.  The ONLY way it is okay for anyone is if: the stuffing reaches 165 or it is heated to 165 after cooking in the microwave. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    I ate the hell out of some stuffing.  TWICE.
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options
    imagekatie4253:

Stuffing in the bird is NOT okay for anyone.  I don't understand who people don't know this.  The internal cavity of the bird often does not reach 165.  The ONLY way it is okay for anyone is if: the stuffing reaches 165 or it is heated to 165 after cooking in the microwave. 

You've got a good point! You sound like Alton Brown, he gets his panties in a bunch about this.

♥ mm/c 2/6/2010 ♥ lydia 4/28/2011 ♥ c/p 10/25/2011 ♥ edd 2/23/2012
  • Options
    imagejodyrm:
    imagekatie4253:

You've got a good point! You sound like Alton Brown, he gets his panties in a bunch about this.

I'd rather have my panties in a bunch than be barfing for days.  I got REALLY bad salmonella in June an seriously wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.   I would barf, pass out from exhaustion for about 10 mins, wake up and be sad I wasn't dead.  It was HORRIBLE. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"