Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Monitoring hcg levels post-D&C

Hi, ladies.

I had my D&C on 10/28 (at 8 weeks along); and since then, my RE has had me come in almost weekly to monitor my hcg levels. (See below.) Is it normal for them to take this long to drop, especially when in the double digits? I am not having any more bleeding or cramping, thankfully. But I thought for sure that by now, I'd be at zero.

Thanks for any advice or shared experiences.

10/28:  55,000

11/9:  333

11/16:  65

11/23:  21

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Monitoring hcg levels post-D&C

• Options

Yes, it is normal.  I had my blood drawn 5 times in 4 weeks- what they were waiting for was an HCG level of 5 or below, which is considered officially "no longer pregnant."  My last one before "5 or below" was 28.  Hope the next time is a charm for you too!

I hope you can put the follow-up part behind you & let your veins recover from all the pokes.  I'm so sorry about your loss too!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. I have been having mine checked, but my levels went down very quickly. I only had three and then the last one was negative. I also was not as far along as you were, so that might have something else to do with it. I know it was a great relief to me to know they were zero again. It allows some closure. Good luck. I hope your next one is your last.
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first m/c I was 9 weeks and it took 9 weeks for them to go down.  The last few were incredibly slow - one week it went down 1 1/2 points!  Painful.  I hope yours speed up.  The good news is you should get your period soon, if you haven't already.
    DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • Options
    Thank you so much for responding! Hearing your experiences makes me feel hopeful that my "below 5" will arrive soon enough. Best wishes to all of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That isn't unusual. The body takes a bit sometimes to drop numbers...but you're going at a good rate. It'll be 0 in no time flat :)
    imageVincent Julian born on March 27th, 2013 DX with Down Syndrome image
    baby
      BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FWIW my doctor told me that the decline tends to taper off more slowly once they get under 500. 
    BFP #1 4/07, 6/07 MMC 9w6d D&C | DX PCOS/annovulatory | BFP #2 (50 mg Clomid) 11/8/10, Natural MC 11/25/10 | Cycle #1 (50 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #3 (100 mg Clomid & HCG trigger) BFN | Cycle #4 (100 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI)= BFN | Cycle #5 (150 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) = BFP --> Beta #1 12DPO: 48, Beta #2 14dpo: 171, Progesterone: 105, Beta #3 19dpo: 2,418 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

They seem right on track as they can slow down the lower they get. Mine took two months to get below 5.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine took over 2 months to get to less than 5.  I did, however, get 2 periods during that time.  I think my first was when my levels were at 33.  Near the end they took forever though.

Good luck...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"