North Dakota Babies
Options

Anyone get a Brazilian Blowout?

::coming out of lurking:: I've been totally MIA, this is a crazy time of year for me! I've been checking in and reading when I can though :)

I just scheduled an appointment next week for a Brazilian Blowout. I have thick, curly hair and straighten it probably 5 or 6 days out of the week. So just the thought of saving myself that extra hour everyday makes me want to pee my pants :)

I'm super nervous about it. I'm afraid it's going to kill my hair, though from what I understand it shouldn't hurt your hair. Has anyone had it done?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl

Re: Anyone get a Brazilian Blowout?

• Options

I got one about a year ago. It's definitely didn't kill my hair. I seriously wish I could afford to get it done again. I LOVED it, and my hair is naturally slightly wavy and kinds poofy. The BB made it straight(er) but the big thing that the BB does is make your hair smooth. It's really not a straightener, it's more so you can blow dry your own hair and not have to straighten with a flat iron. You can still curl your hair if you want to.

• Options
    imagesarlah:

I got one about a year ago. It's definitely didn't kill my hair. I seriously wish I could afford to get it done again. I LOVED it, and my hair is naturally slightly wavy and kinds poofy. The BB made it straight(er) but the big thing that the BB does is make your hair smooth. It's really not a straightener, it's more so you can blow dry your own hair and not have to straighten with a flat iron. You can still curl your hair if you want to.

How long did it last you? There are only a handful of salons in my area who actually offer it. 2 of them are running specials right now for $250 including the shampoo, conditioner, mask & serum - I thought it was a pretty good deal since all of the other salons who have been offering it for a while now are charging $300-500 depending on your hair type. The girl who is doing mine said she's done 8 BB's, so here's to hoping she doesn't fry my hair off :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no input other than to say, I am SO jealous. 
    Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

$250 is a pretty good deal, if you're serious about getting it done then I would definitely jump at that deal.

Mine lasted me about 6 months. I would say the first 4 months it was like brand new, and then months 5 & 6 I could tell is was wearing off, but still worked. 

My brothers girlfriend also got it done and she has super long, very thick & very wavy hair. I think hers lasted about the same amount of time as mine did.

eta: The girl who did mine had only done 2 before me! haha. I wasn't worried. She's been doing my hair for 7+ years and she went to a seminar/class on how to do them properly. In fact, she did mine, my moms, & my brothers girlfriend all at the same time. 

Also keep in mind you will be there for about 3 hours, so plan accordingly. :)

• Options
    ditto to what Katy said - I'm totally jealous!
  • Options
    imagesarlah:

$250 is a pretty good deal, if you're serious about getting it done then I would definitely jump at that deal.

Mine lasted me about 6 months. I would say the first 4 months it was like brand new, and then months 5 & 6 I could tell is was wearing off, but still worked. 

My brothers girlfriend also got it done and she has super long, very thick & very wavy hair. I think hers lasted about the same amount of time as mine did.

eta: The girl who did mine had only done 2 before me! haha. I wasn't worried. She's been doing my hair for 7+ years and she went to a seminar/class on how to do them properly. In fact, she did mine, my moms, & my brothers girlfriend all at the same time. 

Also keep in mind you will be there for about 3 hours, so plan accordingly. :)

6 months would be AWESOME. I can handle doing it twice a year...definitely not more than that. My appointment is next week, so excited :)

• Options
    I never heard of this.  Is it like a Keratin treatment.  When I first saw the title, I was really confused because the only thing I've ever had done that was Brazilian was not to the hair on my head.
  • Options

Yay! You're going to LOVE it.

LOL @ Natalee. Yes it's like a keratin treatment.

• Options

imagenatalee215:
    I never heard of this.  Is it like a Keratin treatment.  When I first saw the title, I was really confused because the only thing I've ever had done that was Brazilian was not to the hair on my head.

Baaahha!

From what I understand, it's like a Keratin treatment. They do the treatment and flat-iron your hair. Then you can't wash it for 3 days. You're supposed to use a special shampoo, conditioner, mask & serum to make it last longer. Seems like most of the salons just include the products, though you can buy them separately.

• Options
    Let me know how it goes!  There was a deal for like $100 on groupon, but I didn't know how long it lasted or really anything about it.  I would like to do it, but I wouldn't want my hair straight for 6 months. 
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    imageAshNicole331:

imagenatalee215:

Baaahha!

From what I understand, it's like a Keratin treatment. They do the treatment and flat-iron your hair. Then you can't wash it for 3 days. You're supposed to use a special shampoo, conditioner, mask & serum to make it last longer. Seems like most of the salons just include the products, though you can buy them separately.

You can use any low sulfate shampoo, I think L'Oreal makes one. Also, you aren't suppose to have to wait any amount of time to wash your hair with the BB, but with just the keratin treatment you do have to wait. Obv. listen to your own stylist, but just so you know I washed my hair the next day and it was fine. :)

• Options

imagenatalee215:

That was my reaction as well, and reading through most of your post with that thought in mind, I was all Tongue Tied. AHAHAHA...Okay. Yeah.

But now I'm confused...it lasts 6 months...my hair probably grows 6 inches in 6 months. Would the roots be all wavy again? I'm intrigued, but confused.

• Options
    imageMrsLC11:

But now I'm confused...it lasts 6 months...my hair probably grows 6 inches in 6 months. Would the roots be all wavy again? I'm intrigued, but confused.

Yes your new growth will be in it's natural form. 

Also - your hair grows 6" in 6 months?! No fair!

• Options
    imagesarlah:
    imageMrsLC11:

Yes your new growth will be in it's natural form. 

Also - your hair grows 6" in 6 months?! No fair!

This sounds amazing.  I straighten my hair about 5-6 days a week as well.  But my hair grows ridiculously fast, so I'd have the same trouble with it just growing out and having curly roots too.  Right now I get mine chemically straightened for about $100, but it don't do much for smoothing, and I still do have to run the flat iron over it.. though it doesn't take forever or too much effort.

• Options

imagenatalee215:

I thought the same thing so you are not alone. I've never heard of it either, but then again I get my hair cut maybe twice a year and do my own coloring. I'm all about saving money. It sounds nice though!

~Sarah & Jason~June 12th, 2009~Siesta Key, FL~
    Planning Bio Married Bio *Work In Progress*
    Formerly Knottie Soon2beMrs.G_09
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm a big fan. It only lasts 3 months for me.
  • Options
    I have not had a hair straightening treatment yet, but plan to.  I've discussed both the Brazilian Blowout and the Keratin Therapy treatment with my stylist.  I think I am going to get the Keratin.  Once I did a little research and read that the Brazilian Blowout has formaldehyde, I crossed it off my list.  I've been told the formaldehyde isn't harmful to your hair, but I can't imagine it would be good for you to be breathing in during the treatment.  My salon actually won't do the Brazilian because of it.
  • Options
    Aveda does a Brazilian without formaldehyde. You just have to ask around to see what type is offered.
  • Options
    imageHappyGoLuckyGal:
    Aveda does a Brazilian without formaldehyde. You just have to ask around to see what type is offered.
    I'm an Aveda girl also. I've heard Aveda is actually trying to maker their very own "brazilian blowout". I'll be very interested in that if it comes into fruition.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"