Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower invitee question

I live in NJ and my mother (who lives in MA) and MIL (who lives in NJ) are planning to host my baby shower together in NJ in January.  I used to live in MA and still have a strong network of friends up there.  However, I don't want those 10 or so friends traveling to NJ just for my baby shower...I would much prefer they wait until after the baby is born to visit and actually meet the baby!  At the same time, I don't want to exclude them from the shower as they are expecting that someone will be throwing me one.  For our wedding shower, we had 2, one in MA and one in NJ....I specifically asked my mother not to have a baby shower in MA for me and she was fine with that.  Any recommendations on how I can respond to their anticipated questions about the shower?  Thanks!

Re: Baby Shower invitee question

• Options

If they are truly GOOD friends, just talk to them!  invite them to the shower, but tell them when you talk to them "Obviously I want you to do what works best for you, but I'd really love to have you visit after the baby is here so that you can meet him/her".

And heck, you never know, they might decide to do both- come to your shower AND come later to meet the baby@

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I think this is tough, too, because it seems like you're asking for gifts when you ask people that live far away while at the same time you want to invite them because you don't want to hurt their feelings. I'd agree with the pp, if someone is a really good friend, ask them if they want to be invited and make sure they know it's no pressure if they can't make it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

If they are truly GOOD friends, just talk to them!  invite them to the shower, but tell them when you talk to them "Obviously I want you to do what works best for you, but I'd really love to have you visit after the baby is here so that you can meet him/her".

And heck, you never know, they might decide to do both- come to your shower AND come later to meet the baby@

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"