Multiples

She won't stay on her back..What should I do?

DD will not sleep on her back. Every time I wake up to check on the babies DD is asleep on her belly.She gives me a heart attack each time. I roll her over but it either wakes her up or she just rolls right back to her belly.

I can't wait until the SIDS risk decrease because this is making me a nervous wreck. Did any of you ladies have tummy sleepers? What did you do?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: She won't stay on her back..What should I do?

• Do you have the angelcare monitors? Is she rolling over?

She might just be a tummy sleeper. If she can roll over and has good neck control, I would be a little less worried. The angelcare would help ease my mind and help me to sleep.

My DD went through a tummy phase and since we had the angelcare, I was okay with it even though I didn't like it. I think I worried about SIDS until she turned a year old.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • We don't have the angel care monitors. She rolls all over the crib, so I worry that she would roll off the pad thing and the alarm would go off causing me major heart failure. Maybe I should look into buying one though.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekaiteedidit:
    We don't have the angel care monitors. She rolls all over the crib, so I worry that she would roll off the pad thing and the alarm would go off causing me major heart failure. Maybe I should look into buying one though.

Look on craigslist or ask your local MoM club if anyone is selling one. My DD rolled all over the place and we never had a false alarm. The only time it went off was when we forgot to turn it off and picked up DD from the crib.

I LOVED our Angelcare and purchased a second unit for the twins. You do have to play with the sensitivity levels until you find the right setting. It was easy to do when your child is awake.

It really kept me sane.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into getting one. 
  • Ollie is a tummy sleeper.  We have the angelcares which does ease my worries.

Once they learn to roll over there's not much you can do.  

• imageIAM4UK:

imagekaiteedidit:
    We don't have the angel care monitors. She rolls all over the crib, so I worry that she would roll off the pad thing and the alarm would go off causing me major heart failure. Maybe I should look into buying one though.

Look on craigslist or ask your local MoM club if anyone is selling one. My DD rolled all over the place and we never had a false alarm. The only time it went off was when we forgot to turn it off and picked up DD from the crib.

I LOVED our Angelcare and purchased a second unit for the twins. You do have to play with the sensitivity levels until you find the right setting. It was easy to do when your child is awake.

It really kept me sane.

This exactly!  LOVED my angelcare monitor!  My doc. said if baby is rolling over onto their tummy on their own then they are fine.  They are strong enough and have enough control to move their head to a position where they can breathe well.  My son started rolling over onto his belly at about 6 months and ever since then that's the ONLY way he sleeps!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We dont have the Angelcare monitors and my daughter started sleeping on her tummy at 4 months.  Now she sometimes is on her tummy, sometimes on her side.  I was never too worried since she could roll herself into that position, I knew she could roll herself back.  Although I also gave them a small blankie.  And a lovey.  So maybe I am not much help :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • angelcare monitors are wonderful - you can sleep tight knowing that your baby is breathing... best thing we ever got.
  • We had our babies sleeping on their tummies from 2 months on.  It was the only way they would sleep in their cribs.  We also didn't have angelcare monitors.  I did worry about SIDS initially, but they had head/neck control and so I calmed down pretty quickly.  
  • I'd just let her stay that way.  Mine sleep soooo much better on their tummy.  I had a heart attack that first time too though.  Mostly because it was during a nap, we were still swaddling at night, and I had a freak out of "what if this would have happened in the swaddle?!"  Now they can be totally asleep before bed, and they'll still wake up enough to get themselves flipped.

• My daughter was the same way, I would just keep rolling her over, think at like 4-5 months I just gave up
    Born at 36 Weeks, 2 Days

Luke 6.12 lbs, Alexandra 5.15 lbs.

April 5th, 2007-Isabella and Robert. We miss you. Born at 22 weeks, 2 days.

• imageaussiebride2:
    My daughter was the same way, I would just keep rolling her over, think at like 4-5 months I just gave up

Same thing here too. She sleeps so much better on her tummy. 

• I asked the pedi this question at their 4 month appt.  Baby A rolls over the minute I put him in the crib and he sleeps with his head face down.  I try to turn his head to the side, but he ends up face down again.  Pedi said as long as I am putting him on his back to start, this is fine since he is rolling over on his own.  It did scare me at first, but now I am getting used to it. 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Another option is the Snuza Monitor that clips onto the baby's diaper.  Seems like it would work for a tummy sleeper.  Obviously I haven't tested the ones I bought yet...
    Fiona & Julia imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 23 mos. TTC, MFI, IUI #1&2 BFN, IVF #1 = BFP!!!
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies. When I asked the pedi about it she told me to keep flipping her over but she really does sleep so much better on her belly. 

I do think I will look into getting an angel care monitor, so I can get some sleep. Her and DS sleep so differently, we lay him down at night and he is in the exact same spot in the morning. 
  • I have one who preferred sleeping on his tummy since he was almost a month old. My ped said once they roll, don't worry about it because there isn't much you can do about it. My friend's baby started sleeping on his tummy when he rolled over. The only other thing my tummy sleeper will sleep in is a rock-n-play, but that's reluctantly. He actually is preferring more and more to sleep on his back now that he is rolling  (weird).

If you need piece of mind, throw the bucks out for an angelcare monitor. It took me a long time to sleep soundly but now that they are more mobile and rolling I know there is no fighting it lol.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • It is okay to let her tummy sleep when she rolls there herself, not that that won't stop you from worrying.  My LO has been rolling to his side or tummy most of the time since we stopped swaddling him.  It took awhile for me to get used to it, but rolling him back would just wake him up or wouldn't last long.   But he sleeps in a Halo sleepsack (no loose blankets in the crib), no bumpers or pillows,we have a small fan going to circulate the air, he takes a pacifier, we don't smoke or co-sleep.   I know I am doing everything I can to reduce the risk of SIDS. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • my babies have slept on their tummies since they were 3 months old. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"