1st Trimester

HcG Levels

Hi All,

I got my positive HPT on Thursday (3 weeks and 3 days). I had bloodwork done on Friday (3 weeks and 4 days). I got the results today and my general practitioner was worried that they were low. It was 58. I'm going in this afternoon to retake it at her urging. I thought 58 was in the normal range for when I took the test.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: HcG Levels

• anything over 5 = pregnant.  Congrats.

it's not the initial # that's important, its whether it doubles in the appropriate timeframe (48-72 hours)

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • I am constantly amazed at doctors and nurses who don't understand how betas work. That number is more than fine.

My first draw at 3 weeks some odd was 60. The RE was thrilled with that number, even though she made a big deal to point out how it only matters how the number increases.

For the record, here were my numbers:

Beta #1: 60; Beta #2: 202; Beta #3: 823; Beta #4: 1589; Beta #5: 3059

• Loading the player...
  • That is exactly what I thought!  I wish she wouldn't scare me by having me retest, but I'm also glad that I'll get to see how the numbers will increase after 72 + hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't have this information. I'm not scheduled with my OBGYN until 12/21.
  • imageLeighinDC:
    That is exactly what I thought!  I wish she wouldn't scare me by having me retest, but I'm also glad that I'll get to see how the numbers will increase after 72 + hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't have this information. I'm not scheduled with my OBGYN until 12/21.

No, she needs to be seeing you for a redraw within 48 hours. That's really what needs to be monitored. The doubling rate is 48-72 hours, but the draws themselves should be two days apart.

I think you need to call your OB and tell them this doctor is clearly not familiar with betas and could they do the draws for you.

• How come some of you (or all of you that responded it seems like) got your betas tested? I found out I was pregnant and called the doc and that was it. No blood test until the first u/s at 6weeks 5 days. We met with the doc two weeks before that, but just to 'talk'... no exam, no blood draw nothing..

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image11kacey:

How come some of you (or all of you that responded it seems like) got your betas tested? I found out I was pregnant and called the doc and that was it. No blood test until the first u/s at 6weeks 5 days. We met with the doc two weeks before that, but just to 'talk'... no exam, no blood draw nothing..

Because I have had five miscarriages.

• image11kacey:

How come some of you (or all of you that responded it seems like) got your betas tested? I found out I was pregnant and called the doc and that was it. No blood test until the first u/s at 6weeks 5 days. We met with the doc two weeks before that, but just to 'talk'... no exam, no blood draw nothing..

Most people who have betas done have a history of loss or IF.

2 girls and a dog
  • imageheather_09_15_07:
    image11kacey:

Thank you! I didn't know if it was normal and maybe I should have asked for them or something. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageheather_09_15_07:
    image11kacey:

Thank you! I didn't know if it was normal and maybe I should have asked for them or something. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image11kacey:

For me the doctor tested because my at home tests all said positive but my in office urine test was negative. I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I do not personally have a history of miscarriage. However, my Dr. still said it was their practice to do a blood test confirmation. When the results came, this is when she raised the issue of HcG levels and now I will have a second test this afternoon. This is my general practitioner. My OBGYN didn't want to see me until 8 weeks.
  • Like the others have said, it's the doubling that really counts. 58 is good though. 

My betas went like this:

3w1d - 46 (they waited a week to recheck because they were just checking for when they could do an ultrasound to rule out ectopic due to having a tubal reversal earlier this year) 

4w1d - 2646 

4w3d - 8654

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSeaofclouds:

Like the others have said, it's the doubling that really counts. 58 is good though. 

My betas went like this:

3w1d - 46 (they waited a week to recheck because they were just checking for when they could do an ultrasound to rule out ectopic due to having a tubal reversal earlier this year) 

4w1d - 2646 

4w3d - 8654

Thank you, I should have the results of my blood test later today. Here's hoping for doubling or tripling. I feel fine so I'm hoping that's a good sign! 

• My new number is 326 on 4 weeks exactly. So, this is a good increase compared to 58 on 3 weeks, 4 days. :) Thanks everyone again for your guidance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"